any Smith and Wesson fans

300 ultra

I have recently purchased 2 Smith and wessons and I am blown away by the quality of these firearms. Thant being said I no nothing about them besides what I think looks nice. Here they are. A 686-1 4" barrel and a 629-1 6' barrel. What do you think??

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 165
Those are some nice revolvers. If you haven't shot hand guns before don't be surprised if you can't hit the broad side of a barn to start. They are different than shooting a rifle and take some practice. Once you get the hang of it you will be amazed at what you can hit. Are you going to hand load for them?

I havent shot these pistols yet. I have a XDS 45 Ive shot quite a bit. I dont plan on handloading for these either. For the cost of plinking ammo i dont see the need. Im anxious to take them out the club

I deer hunt with a S&W 44 magnum, long barrel in gloss blue, iron sights. It's an *** kicker.... Deer *** that is.

My all time favorite handgun. Besides, 'Dirty Harry' had one.....:)

Me. I handload everything. Starline brass, CCI LP primers, 12 grains of Unique and 240 grain Sierra Sportsmasters.

I deer hunt with a S&W 44 magnum, long barrel in gloss blue, iron sights. It's an *** kicker.... Deer *** that is.

My all time favorite handgun. Besides, 'Dirty Harry' had one.....:)

Me. I handload everything. Starline brass, CCI LP primers, 12 grains of Unique and 240 grain Sierra Sportsmasters.

I could imagine deer frown upon that gun.gun)

Yes, they do and the Sierra's 'tear em up'......:)

Don't believe 'Johhny' has a 500. Every 500 I've seen is braked, including a friend's that I've shot. I don't like it. Too **** heavy

I like pistol reloading. Much less propellant used, cases rarely need trimmed, easier to load, dies are carbide lined so no case lube and you can load hard cast lead pills anytime and you can carry 30 in your pocket easily....

Probably why I bought a Henry Lever Gun in 44 Magnum too. Gets out a tad bit farther than the revolver does but shoots the same exact load and pill, just a longer tube so you get more velocity and stabilization.

Must be why I have a couple 45ACP's too, another very easy reloading round.

With the scarcity of propellants today, straight walled pistol rounds look mighty good to me for short to medium distance stuff.

Yes that is a .500S&W and I love it. What a brute!

Traded it off a LRH forum member a couple of weeks ago.

Got a Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter .44Mag w/Bushnell Elite 2-6X Pistol off a LRH forum member in Feb.....while not a S&W, it's just as effective...(stock photo)...

Attachments

• 9b039381db127318fcd90eeda057c663[1].jpg
    9b039381db127318fcd90eeda057c663[1].jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 166
I'll stand corrected. I thought all the 500's were ported at least the ones i've seen.

Years ago I had a Blackhawk in 41 but I sold it. IMO, S&W's are a bit better built.

I carried Smith and Wessons for thirty years in law enforcement. Revolvers in the early years, automatics in the latter years. I shot a lot of competition with the revolvers and they never let me down. All of my Smith and Wessons were great up 'till about the 659. A few years after I retired I bought a Sigma and was terribly disappointed. It was, IMO, junk. Certainly not worthy of the Smith and Wesson logo. I understand it was intended as a low end personal defense handgun; they'd have been better of just not going there.
The guns you have are two that I had in my collection a number of years back. I gave them to my kids and they're still shooting.
Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Those are nice Smiths. From my experience I would have you put Pachmayr grips on them especially the 629. If you don't better take some forceps with you to the range to help pick the splinters out of your hands. :D I hate those factory wood grips. That post about not being able to hit anything at first with them is really true. I about wore out a S&W 66 357 mag. I shot it so much that I could hit rats in the head at the dump at around 50 yards with full house mag loads. I bought a 44 mag. and I shot over 100 rounds before I quit hitting the ground below my target about every third shot from jerking the trigger and pulling the barrel down hard. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts