any reviews on the Sightron SIII 6-24 x 50 30 MIL tube side focus?

308 nate

I'm looking at getting a new scope for a .260 AI that I'm just sbout finished with. And would like some input on the Sightron SIII 6-24 x 50 30MIL tube,side focus.
TIA,
308nate

I just ordered one, I hear it is supposed to be great. There is one guy on this board (ss7mm) that has a friend who just bought one, he might be able to answer right away. Mine should be here within a week.

308nate: We haven't been able to get out to test the new Sightron because my buddy has been sick with the flu. I can say that when we mounted and bore sighted the new Sightron, I got a chance to compare it alongside his old Leupold VariXII variable as well as a new VXIII 4.5x14x50 Leupold and the Sightron, to me, appeared to be brighter and sharper than the VariXII and as sharp and clear as the VXIII. I also thought the colors in the Sightron were as sharp as in the Leupolds.

We have a trip planned this weekend to check on elk and deer along with possibly a coyote and will get to shoot and try the Sightron then.

If it performs as well as it looks so far, it should be a winner.

johnuf78:

We have had it out once and I got a chance to compare it to a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 and I thought it was as sharp and clear as the Leupold. We were shooting early in the day and got to take advantage of the 24x and it was nice. Haven't used it at extended range yet because he has a new 20moa base and rings coming for it. The standard setup, on his gun, won't work. We found that like, his previous scope, the Sightron used up most of the elevation getting on at 100. I think he has about 20moa left in elevation when sighted on at 100. He had the same problem with a Leupold on it before. Farrell base and rings are coming though. We did play with the tracking and so far it seems to be right on the money.

We did play with it some, just looking, at extended ranges and it was as sharp and clear as the Leupold and the colors were just as good. I've heard some say they had problems with Sightrons at extended ranges but until we actually use it on targets and critters out there a ways, I can't say for sure but I think he got his money's worth.

We shot for a couple of hours and the whole time there was a group of 10 cow elk laying on a ridge just watching us. We loaded up, left and they were still there just looking down on the valley from their sunny vantage point. The shooting didn't bother them much.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.