Any pro roo shooters here?

Aussie_hunter

I'm getting in to professional roo shooting. Iv got the rifle 22-250, iv got the 4wd 75 series trayback, iv got a few properties to shoot on. If there are pro roo shooters on this site any info use could give me would be great.

I did roo shooting for a few years until we started having kids. Then I gave it away. Kept going piggin though for a while later but now I only shoot for the fun.
I found it to be very "cut throat" as everyone was out to poach my country or take it off me, and I really don't miss that shi*

Advice? there are plenty of "experts" out there but a couple of things that worked for me ;
1. Don't drive around with your headlights on high beam. The only light you are looking with is the spotlight, any unnessesary light just alerts everything.
2. Don't pass up small roos in hope of finding big bucks. If it will sell, shoot it. I found that a full load of minimum weight roos payed better than a quarter load of big ones. Don't worry about the other blokes laughing at all your does compared to their bucks, you can laugh all the way to the bank!
3. If you have a day job, don't shoot past midnight. You WILL get tired and cranky and you WILL stop enjoying it.
4. If you take a dog, tie it up on the passenger side or it will go deaf. Deaf dogs ignore you.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Never been a pro but shot plenty.

250 is a great round, but once you start reloading turn them down to extend barrel life, once your "head" is shot in you wont miss 500fps.

As far as projectiles, simple soft nose boat tails, not expensive do the job. I have found i shoot more animals under 100m anyway so all the flash long range gear is just a waste of money and as a pro thats what your after

Cheers for the advice, it's only gunna be part time because I do have a full time job already. I rang the department of environment and consivation and there sending me forms and that. The properties I'm going on have so many roo's and there not bothered by the lights or car but I'm sure that will change.

Cheers for the advice, it's only gunna be part time because I do have a full time job already. I rang the department of environment and consivation and there sending me forms and that. The properties I'm going on have so many roo's and there not bothered by the lights or car but I'm sure that will change.

I have shot as a professional for roo skins but only for a few years and then my station job folded and I moved to the city to get a better job.
Don't worry about the car lights just use low beam . Just don't swing the light up into trees or ahead too far up the track. Once you get some roos on the truck rack they tend to swing around a bit after you stop to shoot . Makes sure you have really good shocks on the truck to dampen this swinging about .
I have shot plenty of roos with the 22-250 but it is more expensive than a 223 to run. It is good if you get a situation where after a few nights in the same place using a 223 the roos start to standing off at longer range but professionals don't usually have this problem as they move around to different properties all the time and only take the short range shots . What general area are you in?

G'Day Fella's,

Aussie_Hunter, whilst I have never tried to earn a $ from shootin Roo's, I have shot a couple of thousand in the process of helping out local Cockies.
All I have ever used, was a .222Rem with a fixed 10x scope. This rifle still shoots sub 1/2" groups with the "Skippy Loads" I used at the time.
The vast majority of my shots were around 100 meters, with a lot under that and a quite a few past that but the .222 (or .223Rem) was perfect for it!
This country, varies from flat open paddocks, to undulating open and forested hills and scrub covered country, so the 10x scope was pretty good, most of the time!

The properties I shot Skippy's on, are 1000+ acre in size, in and around Canberra! In fact, all of them were within 15 minutes drive of Parliament House!
I suppose, that's why they call it The Bush Capital!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.