Any opnions on a CZ 550 varmit in 308?

wm5l

I am fixing to plop down some cash on a .308. Pretty much want to stay with that cartridge. I have been looking at the CZ 550 Varmit. Anybody shooting one of these? I need to stay around $1k price range. The gun will be used for hunting and target work. Kind of a combo rig if there is such a thing. I want to do some 500 yard shooting and hunting for deer. http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-varmint/

I dont have one but if it shoots like my cz452 .17hmr (vary good) then it will be vary fun to shoot.

I realy like that gun you are looking at just wish thay offered it in more calibers.

I dont have any hands on with the 550. Although I looked at one in a 223 or 22-250 I think....maybe 223wssm.......long time ago, cant remember for sure. Anyway it had the set trigger etc. The kicker tho was CZ didnt have a chrome molly lined bbl/chamber. I dont know how to phrase it, but it was the same issue as the early M-16 in the Viet Nam era (minus the ball powder issue). Barrel life was less than half on a CZ vs what it was on a Win, or a Browning in the barrel burner calibers.
I dont know if they ever fixed the issue.
I will say this for C-Z though. They have a great warranty Dept. I own a C-Z 712 auto loader 12ga shotgun. Shoots great, feels great, but I usualy break it once a year for the last 4-5 years. Other than Duck season 2008 when nobody could get parts, the warranty Dept has been spot on and very timely in mailing me replacement parts.
I didnt think I was gonna get another C-Z, but I wound up with a C-Z Canvasback O/U 12 ga. 100% awesome shotgun. and not only does it look good, feel good, and shoot good, it hasnt broke yet, and I like that alot better than the warranty dept.
I have mixed thoughts on C-Z. I like the way they look, feel, and shoot, but the barrel issue on the rifle, and the reliability issue with my 712 dont sit well with me. However the Canvasback has impressed the snot out of me.

The only bolt gun that I know of that has a chrome lined barrel, that is commonly available, is the FN Patrol Rifle series, but there could be more. Most all bolt action rifle barrels that will 'blue' by the common 'hot dip' process are made of Chrome/Moly steel (chrome/moly = chrome molybdenum, ie. 4140 / 4150 or something close to that). Chrome lining refers to a plating process. I don't know what grade of steel CZ might use but it wouldn't surprize me to find out that they use a Chrome molybdenum steel. It has been the standard world wide since shortly after WW2. Most manufacturers have tried to cure erosion problems with stainless.

The only bolt gun that I know of that has a chrome lined barrel, that is commonly available, is the FN Patrol Rifle series, but there could be more. Most all bolt action rifle barrels that will 'blue' by the common 'hot dip' process are made of Chrome/Moly steel (chrome/moly = chrome molybdenum, ie. 4140 / 4150 or something close to that). Chrome lining refers to a plating process. I don't know what grade of steel CZ might use but it wouldn't surprize me to find out that they use a Chrome molybdenum steel. It has been the standard world wide since shortly after WW2. Most manufacturers have tried to cure erosion problems with stainless.

I dont know about now a days, but Winchester and Browning were the only 2 rifles that had a chrome bore when the 223wssm came out. The ''blow torching'' effect a.k.a. major throat erosion was a big problemb with other manufacturers in barrel burner cartriges such as the wssm family, and namely the 223wssm. Browning even offered two different twist rates in thier 223wssm.
Anyhow, the 308 is not a ''barrel burner'' in any sense of the word, so I doubt it would be a problemb with a 308. Just my research on C-Z before I bought a rifle for varmints. Im a Winchester freak anyhow and thats what I wound up with. But the C-Z was comfy, and had a neat trigger. I just got spooked by the lack of the propper barrel for the ''whiz-bangers''.
Maybe the issue is completely non-existant concerning the caliber in question, but I threw my findings from my research out there anyway as a precautionary measure for someone looking at buying a new rifle. It never hurts to have more info/knowledge before you make up your own mind on your choice of firearm manufacturer, model, claiber, cartrige etc. Every little bit helps.

Like I said "but there could be more". I've never paid much attention to the 'short mags'. How's this?,,, "The FN patrol Rifle is the only .308 bolt rifle that I know of with a chrome lined bore & chamber". And, it's basicly a short action model 70 classic (CRF).

Like I said "but there could be more". I've never paid much attention to the 'short mags'. How's this?,,, "The FN patrol Rifle is the only .308 bolt rifle that I know of with a chrome lined bore & chamber". And, it's basicly a short action model 70 classic (CRF).

Sounds like a sweet rig. Sorry I miss under stood what you were saying earlier.

The CZ has its points, nice trigger to start with. You know how crappy 'factory ' triggers can be. It has those integral dovetails for scope mounting, too. The FN is a Winchester, trigger adjustments are the same and all the aftermarket fit. The ones I've seen come with a 20 MOA rail made by Near Mfg. The rifle can be had with 2 or 3 barrel lengths and the barrel is fluted. I understand they shoot real well (for factory rifles). And, the best part is they are made in the S.E. United States (SC,, I think)(same plant the new Win.70 is made in).

I have been looking at the CZ 550 Varmit. Anybody shooting one of these? ............I want to do some 500 yard shooting and hunting for deer.

I had one for ages and used it to cull red hinds on the hills of Scotland. I bought it after a recommendation from a professional stalker who i respect. A good honest and accurate rifle with which you won't have to go through the ****ing around you will with a remington or others - replacing the crappy trigger or bendy stock.

It was cheap enough that i never cringed when dragging it through rough terrain, over rocks or bouncing around in the back of the landrover.

Buy it, you won't regret it. I past mine on to a young stalker who's just starting his training and is serving him well.

I own it. CZ 550 Varminter .308 super accurate rifle, worth every penny and far better quality than any remington or winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts