Any opinions on Sako TRG-22 in 308

mosulli4

Anyone have experience with the Sako TRG-22 in .308.

I am considering trading up from a 75 in 6.5 x 55, and would like to know if it is worth the money and effort

Is it accurate?

Any known problems?

I had a sako TRG 21 in .308 Win. was good for the money. The Sako bi-pod for the TRG 22 is spendy but worth it (pivot points are above the boreline).The one piece scope mount with plastic inserts in the rings is also good and stops marking the scope. I sold it get something in 6.5 x 55. I prefer the 6.5mm bullet, better BC. In the end I went for a custom short action in .260 REM. It would always be possible to re-barrel the Sako in .260 REM. I have herd getting barrels off TRG`s may be a problem. Main things aginst it are, 1. hammer forged barrel- not known for BR accuracy, but 1/2 MOA is certainly possible and better with home loads. 2. On my TRG 21 the lock up was not as good as a custom action, 3. expensive bits and pieces, mags, muzzle break etc. In short you may be able to build better for similar money. It is worth costing out something like AICS or Mc Millan stock, trued Remy short or long action, Jewell or similar trigger and Krieger or similar barrel. In a long action you could keep the 6.5 x 55 caliber.

Only thing I managed to break on the Sako was the rear stock ears, It is a two piece stock. The rear part from the pistol grip clamps onto the chassis. Forgot to re clamp it and the stock fell off breaking the fragile ears that cover part of the chassis. That said Sako (Finland) replaced it without a problem and without charge. Great customer service.

The best TRG (in my opinion)is no longer available, Sako made the TRG 41 (long action) in 6.5 x 55. No longer offered in the TRG 42.

Hope it helps, sorry to go on about the 6.5 x 55. I prefer it over .308Win.

David.

hi, i have the trg 42 338 lapua and it shoots under .5" groups at 200yrs!! i am very happy with my gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.