Any luck with the 7MM WSM

Moman

Are many people using this caliber? I had a salesman at the shop tell me this cartridge was on its way out. I would like to know if this is an inherently accurate round and if recoil is fairly manageable in a lightweight sporter.

Yep lots of folks have luck with the chambering. I use it for F-Class - using the Berger 180s, and it shoots great.

Functional in a lightweight sporter - sure if you put a muzzle break on it. Otherwise, it would not be my first choice. Others may not thinks its punishing to use a non-braked magnum in a sporter class hunting rifle; I'm not one of them. (My F-Class rig weighs 19 pounds - not so light, but it makes it easier for me to tolerate of the course of a 65 round day.)

your milage may vary

JeffVN

I Use The 7mm Wsm In My Long Range Gun. I Started With A 7mm Rm In A Sendero And Changed To A Broughton Barrel And Had It Chambered In 7mm Wsm. The Ballistics Are Better Than The Rm And The Recoil Is Managable. There Is No Question That This Is Graet Caliber. Most Ppl Dont Know That Because They Are Trying To Sell You A Gun. I Reload 168 And 180 Berger. I Hunt With The 168's And It Shoots Them At 3160 And Have Had Them Hotter But Started To Open My Groups. Dont Hesitate On One. In Alot Of Cases These Will Out Perform A 300 Caliber In Range. They Have Higher Bc Generally. Good Luck...

I looked at Noslers website for different load options and it seems that what they consider the most accurate are usually the lowest loads listed. I thought that was interesting. As far as factory models, it looks like the A-Bolts have a pretty good offering, but other makers are slim on their offerings. I may look more into the A-Bolt.

Interesting point Moman on the most accurate loads according to the Nosler manual, and something I too have wondered about... I've noticed (going off memory here) it seems to be the trend most often in their manual on loads they list for cartridges that are generally considered overbore and possibly have significant airspace in the loaded cartridge, though I don't know why. I've wondered if that had something to do with it though...

I had awesome accuracy out to 2000 yards with mine. It didnt always shoot so great at 100 but past 300 it did great. Maybe it was just me. I have shot numerous groups under MOA at 1000 yards with the best being a 5 shot group that was just over 5" I have put 8 out of 10 shots on a 25"x45" steel plate at 2000. I am running 168 Bergers at 3185 fps. 69.5 gr of H1000. Touching the lands

There's a poll around here somewhere about what chambering you new gun would be in and 7mmWSM was at the top of the list (at least was). Going by that I'd say it's still pretty popular.

To fill a nich in my hunting rifle inventory I built a 7mm WSM and I am very pleased.

I use it for white tail deer and for a backup to my 338 for elk.

In the short action with a # 6 contoured barrel it makes a potent carry rifle.

I use the 140 gr Accubond for deer and the 160 Accubond for Elk , The 140 load goes just over
3350 ft/sec velocity in a 23" barrel and 3100 ft/sec for the 160.

I don't use a break but in an 8lb rifle if you go with heaver bullets some would want a muzzle
break.

They are capable of great accuracy and energy for a "Short" round. The best 5 shot group
to date with this rifle is .177'' at 100 yards.

Some one will always have something better but if this is what you want you will never
be disappointed in it for the range and power level it is intended.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.