Any Interest in a Long Range Shooting Camp?

The owner of the place I was thinking of was not that interested so I let it go. But we could do a primitive type camp out and shoot next spring. I think we need to keep it to spring time as the risk of fire gets pretty high here in june through August.

Jeff

Next spring would be great . Do you think you could meet some of the out of towners at the air port ? This would save on having to rent a car for 3 days . You could charge for pick up and gas and your time of course. but it would still probably save guys like me in the end , compared to rental on a vehicle. I would really like to meet you and the fellas on this site in person. I would be happy with 2 steel gongs one at a mile and one at 1000 or so. Would you be helping the inexperienced shooters like my self or would we need 2 be prepaired to do all of the wind reading and field conditions ourselves ? In short would it be like a shooting school in a round about way ?

The owner of the place I was thinking of was not that interested so I let it go. But we could do a primitive type camp out and shoot next spring. I think we need to keep it to spring time as the risk of fire gets pretty high here in june through August.

Jeff

Jeff...

I'd be very interested in something along those lines, just near enough to some accomodations where after a few days, the stink could be removed via shower..........:D

There are virtually no places around here where you can 'exercise' a 338 lapua or a 50 Barrett without undue restraints and concerns. Possible, but hard to accomplish. I have access off the back deck in the excess of a mile sight distance but the land is flat and past that is population so a wayward projectile could be an issue.

Besides, we can talk shop.

I can fly or drive, preferrably drive (I dislike TSA and checking firearms). Again my issue is an ocassional 'flush, fill and fragarance'. After about 3 days, I'm not good company (unless you are upwind.......)

Jeff...

I'd be very interested in something along those lines, just near enough to some accomodations where after a few days, the stink could be removed via shower..........:D

I can fly or drive, preferrably drive (I dislike TSA and checking firearms). Again my issue is an ocassional 'flush, fill and fragarance'. After about 3 days, I'm not good company (unless you are upwind.......)

Ya know if we do it right you might be drawing some bear in by the end of a shoot and some of us could fill a spring bear tag :D

i could set something like this up as well if i could get 6 guys that would want to do it. I have two locations one is a for sure thing. It can sleep 6 i can set up targets out to 2000yrd as i have a 2000yrd range where i do my shooting. i also have a 2009 crew cab hunting truck to ride around in. This location is in south Texas the ranch is 6000ac
The second location is in west Texas and is 30,000ac of west Texas desert the lodge sets at 6000' its nice and cool up there. its a true mansion its around 10,000 SQ feet 6 bed room and was built in 1913 by one of the largest cattlemen in west Texas at that time. my friend just spent over 1.5million rebuilding it after he bought the ranch. I could have all the meals cooked and have the hunting truck to ride around in as well. there is a lot place to shoot as for as you would want to as well up/down hill across canyons i could set up a bunch of targets and there is tons of rocks to shoot. you could shoot coyotes on both places.
060.jpg

romanceofdavismo00rahtrich_0354.jpg

HughesRanch8-5-080011.jpg

I would be really interested in going to a shooting camp/school. I'm definitely going to keep up with this thread. If this doesn't work out, are there any schools that y'all have been to or would recommend? Thanks guys

Guys, this is something we should plan over the winter. It will take a few local guys to put it together and work out details. I never thought of this as being a school. Just a camp out with shooting and meeting some of the guys. I would help but do not wish to do it alone as far as place and set up or what ever. Most places suitable for long range shooting are very remote. Most likely 30 miles from motels ot showers. But there are plenty of creeks with nice cold melted snow running in them. A pot of that water over a camp fire is better to bathe in.:)

Moving to different locations for different targets would be a good idea too. Might get boring shooting the same rocks for 2 days.

I say this would be good to start planning after hunting season for a spring shoot.

Jeff

Jeff

You have stumbled into an area of need, at least from my view. There are few opportunities for folks who shoot to go to a long range school. (meaning ranges over 1,500 yards).

I know that there are a few out there, specific to hunting, but the selection is very limited and sometimes makes phsical demands that guys like me (bad knees) can't accomodate (as in hiking your gear in and out). Other schools that exist are pretty expensive, as in the school charges roughly $400 or more per day per shooter. I hope we can pull this off.

Jeffvn

yes im interested my buddy is a ret. navy seal that did alot of long range shooting if you know what i mean we would be interested and would black guns be wecome and yes we have some long range guns also!! thanks i need all the help i could get :D

Just throwing this out there to see what you guys think. I have a 2000 acre ranch 1 hour outside of Colorado Springs. 20 min. From a gambling town called Cripple Creek. The ranch house is rustic but clean and comfortable. You could stay in Cripple Creek, vary nice hotels for cheap. Let me know I know there is a couple spots to take her out to one mile and tons of 600 to1000 yard spots. Easy retain with road access to all targets, if there isn't we could make one.

Guys, this is something we should plan over the winter. It will take a few local guys to put it together and work out details. I never thought of this as being a school. Just a camp out with shooting and meeting some of the guys. I would help but do not wish to do it alone as far as place and set up or what ever. Most places suitable for long range shooting are very remote. Most likely 30 miles from motels ot showers. But there are plenty of creeks with nice cold melted snow running in them. A pot of that water over a camp fire is better to bathe in.:)

Moving to different locations for different targets would be a good idea too. Might get boring shooting the same rocks for 2 days.

I say this would be good to start planning after hunting season for a spring shoot.

Jeff

I'm in, besides, we could talk shop. Don't ask how my NM mule deer hunt went. Lets just say 3300 miles with empty Yetti's both ways.

Cold streams cause other issues.....:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.