any input on the 17 remington

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nbsanders, Jan 17, 2011.

1. nbsanders

nbsanders Member

I was wondering if any of you guys shoot a 17 Remington. I would like to know its maximum. Range.also the damage it leaves on fur. Would this be good for Bobcats coyotes as far as fur damage

2. Shooter98

Shooter98 Well-Known Member

I definately wouldn't use the 17 as a primary gun for coyotes. At 200 yards I'm not sure the 17 has enough energy to kill a bigger predator like a coyote or a fox. Prarie dogs or squirrels sure, but even then it's not always a 1 shot kill. In my opinion the 17 has a max USABLE range of 150 yards. That's not saying you can't make a 250 yard shot, but good luck :)

3. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

I was out shooting a few weeks ago to check the zero on mine and shot this group at 100 yards.

[​IMG]

Don't know anything about shooting coyotes or foxes but it is a very capable gun out to 300 yards and if there is no wind you can get out to 500 yards.

4. Shooter98

Shooter98 Well-Known Member

It's not the accuracy in question but the velocity, which is what's needed for the kill.

5. yote doctor

yote doctor Well-Known Member

Sure it does. I have shot 4 deer and 2 antelope with the 17. All were 150-350 yard shots. Not the best caliber to use but it gets the job done. Works the best on coyotes and fox. It was made for the fur chasers back when you could pay your truck payment with only two or three coyotes. My truck anyway:rolleyes:

6. mo

mo Well-Known Member

It's a great coyote rifle for 350 yrds and under. My choice for sure!

7. john_m44

john_m44 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be afraid to shoot at a coyote with a 17 remington out to 300yards. Ive seen more one shot kills on a coyote with 17 remington and 20gr vmax than I have with a 204 ruger and 40gr vmax.