Any info on the .270 arnold mag?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by drewman, Jun 30, 2007.

1. drewman

drewman Active Member

Just wondering if any of you wildcatters have used one or if you have any info. I just read Arnold book and it made me interested. I quess he got me thinking.

Thanks

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Those are costly thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Desert Fox

Desert Fox Well-Known Member

I believed Arnold Arms is out of business. I was once contemplating of having them build me a rifle using their Apollo action, and discussed with the owner at lenght about the project. The owner is very pleasant and accomodating but luckily for me, I didn't proceed with the project. I'm surprised that they're still around.

4. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

I believe its basically the same thing as a 270 STW. I may be wrong but for some reason that is what I think the round is, basically a full length 270 on a belted magnum case.

Kirby Allen(50)

5. distantfoe

distantfoe Well-Known Member

I believe it's a 300win just necked down to .277. I once concidered the round but opted out for the 300 arnold. To make a long story short I made the down payment yet they filed chp 13 before giving my money back or sending me a rifle. Wouldn't mind paying Mr. Doug Arnold a visit if ya know what I mean.

6. drewman

drewman Active Member

I think its based off the 8mm mag but I need to check I don't have the book with me on the road. I know they are out of business but I liked what I read. I was wondering if its still possible to get a reimer and maybe make a rifle. Just a thought

thanks

7. 7mmstw

7mmstw Member

all the STW CASES are based on the 8mm rem mag case
    from what i can find all of the arnold arms were based on the 300 win mag
    necked to the various calibers... he called them original designs but winchester
    had a different idea of proprietary ....
    i have always thought the 300 win mag case is beter size for smaller bullets than
    the stw case i have a 7mm stw & 257 stw both are well into overbore
    but the 257 really needs more tube to get maximum velocity
    seems a 277-300 win mag w/130 gn swift scirroco at about 3450
    would be my mule deer choice.... just sayin

8. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

It's based on the 300 win. His accuracy loads with the 140gr bullets were 3400fps. Looks like a great cartridge to shoot the cutting edge 140gr bullets.