Any info on Region H Wyoming?

jdysert

I will be mule deer hunting in region H this fall. I am from Oregon and this is my first out of state hunt. Any help with areas or tips would be greatly appriciated. Also I plan on arranging a scouting trip this summer, when would be the best time to plan a trip (when is the snow level not a factor?).

Thanks

Joe

Email- [email protected]

Question first---How do you know you will be hunting there when the draw hasn't even been held yet? Be aware that the southwest part of the state had the worst winter since at least the early 90s and some areas lost as much as 70% of last years fawn crop, as well as a significant number of adults. According to the F&G, they expect that more will die over the next month or so because of the very late Spring. I would suggest calling the area F&G biologist in the office nearest to where you plan to hunt and to ask them their suggestion as to where to hunt. I would also wait as long as possible until late this summer before making a trip to scout if you draw the tag.

After talking with a few people I decided to applied for the nonresident special tag. I was told that my chances of drawing were pretty high. I am just betting on what I've heard. Thanks for the info!

Joe

Yep, you should get the tag with no problem as both the Random Special with no PPs and the other with PPs were both 100% in last years draw. Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Area H covers a lot of land, do you have any idea on where you want to hunt? The Wilderness area would be hard to get into until mid July because of 200% above normal snow fall this year. The area Wyoming Range on the Greys River drainage, has a reputation of World class Bucks but they will be high in normal years. Season opens usually around Sept 10th.

Last edited:
So I was hoping to get time off work to scout this summer in region H, but it doesn't look like thats going to happen. Being from Oregon, we have access to hunt private timber land and national forest (lots of roads open to drive). Is region H the same, or is there mainly just trails to hunt, and not a lot of BLM roads?

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.