Any h-bomb experts here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by montana_native, Sep 21, 2009.

1. montana_native

montana_native Well-Known Member

I watched a cool documentary last night about the develoment of nuclear weapons called "Trinity and Beyond." There was some amazing footage captured during those tests.

One thing I would like to know is what are those vertical "streamers" that show up at the beginning of the blast near ground level that rise up into the atmosphere?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. toddconley

toddconley Well-Known Member

I can drop some F bombs but I have no info on H bombs.
    thanks
    T

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

If you happen to know any of the bomb people at Los Alamos National Lab or ask someone at the Bradbury Museum in Los Alamos I bet you'd get an answer.

4. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

I've got a copy of that documentary. Real interesting, sorry though, don't have an answer for your question.

5. justgoto

justgoto Well-Known Member

The smoke trails are there to see how the surrounding air reacts to the explosion.

6. jerrschmitt

jerrschmitt Well-Known Member

The smoke trails are from telemetry rockets that are fired just prior to detonation. I'm not an expert but I worked in the program from 1958 to 1980.

7. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

My dad's cousin worked at LosAlamos forever and wrote bomb papers that I have read online. He's old and retired now. I'll ask him when I talk to him. But he may not tell me.

8. blipelt

blipelt Well-Known Member

This is not my field of explosives but I can make a guess for you. With the blended product we use, when the product goes off and achieves steady state velocity it will be around 6000degrees and a velocity far greater(I can't remember the exact number I think about 3Xfaster). I am assuming it is fragments of the devices or something around it going into the air. Did they mention if the device was contained? What I deal with are snap caps compared to this stuff though.

Brent