Any great Gunsmiths in Utah??

Tikka Lover

Official LRH SPONSOR
Looking for a guy that is into extreme accuracy, can't seem to really find anyone like that so far. I live 30 min. south of Salt Lake City but am willing to drive a ways for good work. Any suggestions from fellow Utahns out there?

Thanks

Ive been wondering the same thing, so im interested in hearing about one as well. I live in Saratoga Springs, pretty close to you.

there's a guy named Jim Green in Parowan UT. He's building one for me now. 435-477-3030. The guy knows his stuff!

Brad Stair in West Haven. Performance Guns. He makes 2000 yard wildcats for the military and Utah SWAT.

He's a long range superfreak.

He's really busy so don't plan on getting your gun for about 3 - 4 months.

He does accurizing, rebarrels, triggers, bedding, blueprinting, etc.

Highly recommended.

It's hard to find good gunsmiths out here in Northern Utah. I had a guy from Nightowl gunsmithing do some work for me. I asked for a Shilen trigger and he installed a Basix trigger without my consent. I asked for it to be recrowned and it's not too bad. Now for the part that really ticked me off, the glass bedding. I don't think this guy has ever glass bedded a firearm in his life or if he has, they are just as crappy. I had unequal pressure on both sides of the receiver. He went an inch longer with the bedding on one side of the receiver compared to the other. There were a lot of sharp pressure points. He also assumed that free floating is not good (which I know works on some and not others, but he never queried about the accuracy) and bedded 2 and a half inches in front of the receiver.

I will never, ever use this guy again or recommend him.

I did meet a guy down at the range after this who is a gunsmith and explained that situation to him. He took that stock off (one of the bedding screws must have been 80lbs. of torx!) examined it and showed me all the wrongness. He then explained to me the required measures to be taken and sounded like he really knew his stuff. I let him have it to re-glass bed it. He did a great job on it. He also told me if any stock problems occur with the bedding, he would do it for free (i.e. if pressure is going to be needed up front of the barrel to increase accuracy). He lives out toward West Jordan.

PM me if your interested in talking to him. Very reasonable prices and great time in getting things back (not like Barlow's Custom Guns who had my rifle for two weeks and had done nothing with it).

Benjamin Hess from Black Tie Firearms is fantastic. He takes his time, so don't expect your firearm back in a rush, but you can bet it'll come to you in top notch condition. He's in Orem. Just google the website or PM me for his phone number

Benjamin Hess from Black Tie Firearms is fantastic. He takes his time, so don't expect your firearm back in a rush, but you can bet it'll come to you in top notch condition. He's in Orem. Just google the website or PM me for his phone number

I hope the OP didn't wait 5 years for it. lightbulb
post_old.gif
08-19-2008, 07:54 PM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.