Any body have any loads for a 30-30 single shot

enigma

I have a 30-30win the gun is a savage break open single shot it has a 26 inch barrel.It breaks open like a thompson encore.Doe's any body know of any loads for this gun I'm trying to get 2700-2800 FPS out of a it 165gr pointed boat tail?

Last edited:
I have a 30-30win the gun is a savage break open single shot it has a 26 inch barrel.It breaks open like a thompson encore.Doe's any body know of any loads for this gun I'm trying to get 2700-2800 FPS out of a it 165gr pointed boat tail?

You can't take a VW and win the Indy 500. You are talking highest or above velocity for a 308 Win. The 30-30 Win case is THIN and can't handle high pressures, plus you just don't have enough case to get those kinds of velocity with powders that would be safe pressure wise.

Dittos on RTs comments. You need a 308s performance, you need to buy a 308. Nothing wrong with the 30-30s performance, and you now have the option of using spitzer bullets; but it isn't a 2800 fps cartridge. Don't try to make it something that it isn't.

Call it 2300, maybe 2350. I wouldn't try to go much beyond that with standard 30-30 cases. 375 Win cases are rated for higher pressures if you want to do some case forming, but I don't think it'd be worth the effort or the expense.

Depending on what you're doing with it, it might be worthwhile to consider some of the lighter 125-135 grain .30 cal varmint bullets. At these speeds, they'll behave more like conventional big game bullets, expanding rather than blowing up like they would at higher velocities.

If you want to hunt deer size game look no further than the Nosler 125 gr ballistic tip. You can expect to get 2500 fps reasonably. I have killed many deer with this bullet. I shoot it in three different 30 cal. weapons from from 2670 fps to 3000 fps muzzle velocity and it just hammers deer.
It is THE BULLET for my 30-30AI Contender pistol 14" barrel which I get 2670 fps average with it for deer.
If you want to use a 150 gr spitzer bullet I would suggest that you go with the Nosler ballistic tip and keep your shots to 200 yards max for good expansion.

With a 20" barrel on a Marlin 336 I am using a 160gr Hornady FTX in front of 33.0gr of Varget. I have the length of 2.573 oal which is a 0.035" jump to the lands. With this I'm getting 2225fps on the chrono. I don't know what you may get with an extra 6" of barrel, but probably not near 2500-2600 fps. I think I'm not pushing the pressure limits...but I don't want to either.

YMMV

Matt Roth

Enigma,

Powder capacity/case size is only one component in determining performance. Comparing two cases which are roughly the same size and making the argument that they should give similar velocites is a good way to get hurt. In the comparison you're making here, the 300 Savage, though similar in size and capacity to the 30-30, operates at considerably higher pressure. Specifically, the 30-30 has a SAAMI max pressure of 38,000 CUP, while the 300 Savage runs 46,000 CUP. In PSI, that's a jump from 42,000 psi to 53,000 psi. The 300 Savage brass, and guns chambered for it are intended to withstand this sort of pressure, while the 30-30 isn't. Don't push it. To take that one step further, look at the old 38 ACP, and the 38 Super. Dimensionally, the cases are completely identical; same length, same diameter, same capacity. The performance between the two, howver, is worlds apart. Chambering and firing a 38 Super round in a gun intended for the 38 ACP will likely destroy the gun on the spot. The difference between the two is pressure, pure and simple.

The 30-30 is a fine cartridge, and does what it was intended to quite admirably. It was never intended to do what 300 Mags, the 30-06 or even the 300 Savage was meant to do. If you need that level of performance, you need a rifle chambered for one of those cartridges. But don't try to make the 30-30 into something that it's not.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.