Any .338 Win mag users?

Kyle: Where can I get the .338 Win Mag ammo from Georgia Arms??
I have never even heard of Georgia Arms, but the ammo must be pretty good.

My new .338 BAR is shooting pretty good with cheap Winchester powerpoints, but I haven't tested too many bullets or brands yet.

JCB

Jon,

I have only owned two 338's and they were both Rugers. One had a synthetic, the other a brown laminate stock. Both were SS and had sights as well. GREAT rifles both of them. In factory form they were under 1 moa guns easily with 250gr Barnes X bullets, all I ever shot through them. Most of the time they shot .5 -.8 moa but I never messed with the load because it was always under moa and I never shot over 3-400 yards back then. Mine both liked hot loads and always grouped well there, I wish I could say that about a few other guns I own but usually groups double in size at max loads on them. Some of them are ridiculously low in velocity before they group that well.

We were out a week or so ago and a buddy of mine had his older Ruger 338wm with him. We shot it with some Federal 225 highshocks or something off the shelf like that. It was under .7 moa with two different types of bullets, both factory stuff. To top it off, we were both shooting the groups as well!

Savage makes a hard gun to beat, but all the 338wm in a Ruger I've seen shoot, will always shoot sub moa groups, factory too.

I remember once we went out shooting filled water ballons, the little round ones the size of a baseball at best. We were at 200 yards and leaning on the truck doing this too. We had stuck the ends you blow through on tree limbs, hanging them all over in the tree like a Christmas tree.
grin.gif
We were using factory fed 225gr partitions, cheap stuff wally world had on sale in the isles at 20 bucks a box. We never did shoot any groups with them bullets but we hit water balloons one after the other after the other for about a 90% success rate! I remember looking at the gun thinking, I can't believe how accurate it is with these bullets!! Never found them on sale again and started loading the barnes bullets after this. I found that the "gun" was just accurate!
smile.gif
smile.gif

If you can get the Federal High Energy brass, it was giving me alot higher velocities than the regular fed stuff.
wink.gif

Brent: Thanks for the baloon-popping story! All of us here really like the Ruger 77. I killed two deer with a friend's Ruger in .270,a great gun; but apparently the .338 Rugers shoot just as well. Kyle likes his. I will admit that I'm not missing any of that bolt-action recoil. My .338 Win Mag 'feels like a .30-06' when I shoot it and I got a 5 shot (two different shooters) group of 1.1 inch at 100 yds on the first try with Winchester 200 grain Powerpoints on a gusty 13-15 mph day! The group was horizontally elongated, which gives me a lot of hope for a less than 1 inch group on a calm day.

What about the BARNES XLC coated X bullet that Federal makes in 225 grain? Anyone ever tried that in their .338?

I also am looking forward to seeing what 230 grain FAILSAFES will do!? Anyone like FAILSAFEs?

re The incredable .3338 Win Mag. Mine is a Ruger 77 topped with 2-7 Redfield and factory irons. It has reached out and touched
four Elk and some Deer. I like the way loads can be adjusted for about any North American
game. i.e. For out west (live in Ohio) I used the .210 Noslers over full loads. In western Pa. I load the 180 Nosler Balistic tips at about 2800 fps (or same as 30-06).
Last time out in Montana I got little wild
and picked up some Federal Premium High Energy factory ammo. That's .340 WB Mag equal
with 250gr Part. nosler at near 2900fps. Got
to grit your teeth a bit and be real sure the buttstock is firmly pulled into shoulder with the Hy Energy rounds. I can truthfully say that in 14 years I've had this .338 it has always been ready and got the job done.
In Wyoming one season however I let the .338
down by being talked into setting up for open
country Long Range shots. The 2 to 7 was pulled off and a Leupold 6.5 to 20 power target scope was mounted. Yup lost a peek-a-boo contest with hugh Bull Elk in thick draw.
Did redeem things a might when guide asked me
to "put down" another bull that some other client hip shot. This time at about 350 yds up steep side of mountain the Ruger77 put a
250 gr. Sierra boattail in boiler room of escaping bull. We had set up day early of hunt on ranch and sighted in at measured 600yds. With scope dialed in it was no problem to put rounds in target from sitting position. The sad part was that in order to fit the big 6.5-20 power scope on rifle the
irons had to come off. Therefore when guide a I tip toed into thick forest I was basically blind. We ended up not 20 yds from
Bull Elk with no sights. Obviously the irons and shorter scope combo have been restored and the .338 will live out it's (or my) life
in this configuration. rjb

Neither mine or my dad's have irons on them.My Uncles(the onw ho got me and my dad into .338s)does.It's a 1970 Winchester Model 70 in .338

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts