Antelope: NE wyoming

bretterath

My wife wants to go antelope hunting in Wyoming and I have never hunted in Wyoming. North Dakota antelope season is closed for another year and Montana numbers are down. We plan on buying a left over tag and hunting in ne Wyoming south of Gillette somewhere but was wondering if there is much for public or BLM land or lots of outfitter land. Trying to plan a hunt but not sure what unit to get a tag for.

We hunted unit 23 last year. I would suggest paying a trespass fee and hunting private. There are quit a few pronghorn but the trophy quality will be less than a limited quota area. Good luck.

Thanks for the info it's kinda a last minute thing. I didn't plan anything this year I hunted in Montana four different times last year. I want to try a different place this year.

If you have time spend a couple days looking around at what they have. If you want to pay a trespass fee call the Gillette office and get a landowner list.

id by one of the land ownership chips for wy. Stuff it in your garmin and drive back roads. I've killed allot of goats that way without ever paying a trespass fee.

Some of the Northeast Wy herd has suffered alot of loss and numbers are way down. I was under the impression that they maybe migrated off toward another area, but some neighbors are finding alot of carcasses, so perhaps there was a disease issue too. Up till last season, the population seemed real strong. That's no longer the case.

I've recently seen alot of antelope south of Wright and west of Wright, but East of Wright/South of Upton seems where they were hit pretty hard. Area 7 used to be a good area to apply for. Lots of public land and always left over tags. People were just lucky to get tags this year as G&F cut the quota dramatically.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.