Antelope gun choice

I've taken them with .220 swift (2) .243 (6 including my first at the age of 11) 7mm Rem (6), and 3 with my 7mm STW.

I was just speaking to the 6.5's and trying to figure out why he'd go for the slower of the two.

A deer or antelope just walking along at a normal rate can move a half body length or more in one second so I consider flight time to be a pretty big consideration as I don't get many opportunities, especially on antelope with them being dead still unless I'm set up on their bedding location when the sun comes up.

I've taken them with .220 swift (2) .243 (6 including my first at the age of 11) 7mm Rem (6), and 3 with my 7mm STW.

I was just speaking to the 6.5's and trying to figure out why he'd go for the slower of the two.

A deer or antelope just walking along at a normal rate can move a half body length or more in one second so I consider flight time to be a pretty big consideration as I don't get many opportunities, especially on antelope with them being dead still unless I'm set up on their bedding location when the sun comes up.

I totally agree with you on your of choice of the 6.5 x .284.

OVERKILL is when, in these cases, a weapon that FAR...FAR exceeds what is needed to kill an animal, is used.

.458 Winchester on groundhogs..?? .375 H&H on prairie dogs.. rifles with as much as 4000 ft lbs of energy used on an animal of 150-200 lbs LIVE weight. THATS OVERKILL.

I havent seen 2 animals one more dead than another...but I have seen 2 of which one was blown to smitherreens!

Broz stated he was using it as a test pattern for his elk gun...and I understand that totally and cant disagree with his principal...but as an "everyday" rifle for "goats"....wheeeeee doggies!!

BTW...a 223 on goats in UNDERgunned!

It's 5000 ft lbs in my 338 and it works fine on 150-200 lb animals at long range

And the 223 WSSM slinging 90 SMKs is a fine goat cartridge, watched it tip quite a few in good shooting conditions

Over kill is a silly term, when it comes to LRH. When the conditions are poor you either limit your shots or launch what will get the job done.

As stated for the OP 600 yards in Wyoming wind can be a long way shoot which ever one you feel you shoot the best in wind, and if need be get closer

Yeah, but depends on the distances involved too. This one was to test the 300 OTM's on some meat before elk season. I have to admit I have used the .338 with 300's before too at some very long distances, the less wind drift is a great thing with goats. So far I have not had one goat complain even if hit a little far back which is very easy to do on a goat if it is not fully broadside. I have seen many goats shot by other hunters on the public ground we hunt run past dragging their intestines and sceaming "I wish he would have used a bigger rifle"

Jeff

LOL, "Wish he would have used a .50 cal instead of that .338 there's not enough of my guts bouncing off the sage brush!"

A 338 with 300 Bergers works well even on the windy days. Bit if you don't have a 338 take the 6.5~284 :D

Have a great trip!!

Jeff

DSC03188Small.jpg

Nice shot placement Jeff!

I like all your overkill shots gun) -

BTW, you know it does not get windy here in Montana!

:D:rolleyes::):cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, Thanks Feenix. I think the "Palomino Speed Goat" is the perfect long range game. They are out all day feeding, easy to spot, usually in open ares where the spotter can keep an eye one if he runs off with your bullet, ( I havent had this happen yet with the .338) and they pack out easy.

But no matter what caliber is used, it should be metioned how tough these goats really are. The area with vitals is very small and the diaphram is not far behind the front shoulder. I use the corner of white hair for an aim point and it works great. But if the goat is slightly angled, not perfectly broadside to you, and you are a bit far back it will exit in behind the diaphram and only get intestines. I wasn't kidding about them running off with their intestines hanging out and will go a long ways. Most of the guys that hunt these goats will tell you they will travel far and stand there for hours wounded from a shot to far back. Just thought I would toss this out there. I try to get ribs right behind the shoulder on both sides. But I crowd toward the shoulder as I feel a lost shoulder is better than a goat suffering for to long that could be lost.

Here is the pic of the goat in the video at 820 yards. This is the white corner point of aim I like. NO lost meat here, I don't debone goat ribs.. :D

Back then I was using 300 SMK's in my .338 LM. Now I shoot the 300 Bergers.

Jeff.

DSC00599Large.jpg

LOL, Thanks Feenix. I think the "Palomino Speed Goat" is the perfect long range game. They are out all day feeding, easy to spot, usually in open ares where the spotter can keep an eye one if he runs off with your bullet, ( I havent had this happen yet with the .338) and they pack out easy.

But no matter what caliber is used, it should be metioned how tough these goats really are. The area with vitals is very small and the diaphram is not far behind the front shoulder. I use the corner of white hair for an aim point and it works great. But if the goat is slightly angled, not perfectly broadside to you, and you are a bit far back it will exit in behind the diaphram and only get intestines. I wasn't kidding about them running off with their intestines hanging out and will go a long ways. Most of the guys that hunt these goats will tell you they will travel far and stand there for hours wounded from a shot to far back. Just thought I would toss this out there. I try to get ribs right behind the shoulder on both sides. But I crowd toward the shoulder as I feel a lost shoulder is better than a goat suffering for to long that could be lost.

Here is the pic of the goat in the video at 820 yards. This is the white corner point of aim I like. NO lost meat here, I don't debone goat ribs.. :D

Back then I was using 300 SMK's in my .338 LM. Now I shoot the 300 Bergers.

Jeff.
The highlighted portion is absolutely true. I've seen antelope shot perfectly with small calibers that then ran over a mile before they died.

It takes a direct CNS hit and/or massive shock to drop them in their tracks stone dead.

So that you wont need to go and look it up...

"Overkill "is the use of excessive force or action that goes further than is necessary to achieve its goal....

This is an example of ethics discussion. All discussion of ethics is forebidden on this forum.

GO AWAY!

So that you wont need to go and look it up...

"Overkill "is the use of excessive force or action that goes further than is necessary to achieve its goal....

I got it, it was a joke I was breaking your B*!!$, I just dont believe in it. No Ethics problem here, the end result for everyone I hunt with is to kill the animal you're hunting not wound it, so if I knock it down a little harder I can live with it.

Not new to this, I also like light cartridges and have taken a considerable amount of game with them. I cull deer with a 6 BR and have taken them past what I would call the limit for that rifle. I would have no problem with that rifle for goats on a calm day, but I know calm days in goat country are few and far between.

Hunt with what ever makes you happy, every cartridge has it's limits, and wind can bring those limits out sooner.

Hey it's all good I culled hogs with someone who wanted to use a small cartridge for mid range, worked out great for me. I got to clean up the mess, extra shooting for me :)

Enough gun is not what it takes to kill the animal, It's the whole package enough to get the bullet on fur in the conditions you are hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.