Antelope gun choice

Great! Another overkill debate ...

bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

No such thing! lightbulb

Great! Another overkill debate ...

No such thing! lightbulb

No overkill "debate" at all. Broz and I were just discussing the merits or lack of merit on using HIS 338 on ANTELOPE...nothing more...nothing less.

What meaningfull info did you have to the discussion..apparently NONE!

No overkill "debate" at all. Broz and I were just discussing the merits or lack of merit on using HIS 338 on ANTELOPE...nothing more...nothing less.

What meaningfull info did you have to the discussion..apparently NONE!

Why do I need to add any unnecessary insult, it's been covered so many times, and I thought my response says it all ... BNG got it! :D Besides others already gave sound advice to the OP.

That's like me saying to Jeff, " BROZ, the antelope buck is 500 yards away ... you're not going to shoot him are you?" gun)

Jeff (or anyone else for that matter) do not need to justify anything to you or anyone else, as long as the game was harvested humanely and ethically ... enough said. :rolleyes: Thanks!

Merry Christmas and God bless!

I hate wasting any edible portion of a game animal.

How much meat is wasted when a wounded animal evades recovery and is lost?

100%.

How much edible meat is wasted in the pictured carcass?

Maybe 2-5%?

I see no need to use a caliber/bullett that produces an exit wound I can stick my fist, or both fists through, but it is certainly preferable to the loss of the entire animal.

Why do I need to add any unnecessary insult, it's been covered so many times, and I thought my response says it all ... BNG got it! :D Besides others already gave sound advice to the OP.

That's like me saying to Jeff, " BROZ, the antelope buck is 500 yards away ... you're not going to shoot him are you?" gun)

Jeff (or anyone else for that matter) do not need to justify anything to you or anyone else, as long as the game was harvested humanely and ethically ... enough said. :rolleyes: Thanks!

Merry Christmas and God bless!

You like far too many READ something into a post that isnt even there...for people like yourself there is no comment

I didnt ask Broz to "justify" anything. I simply mad a factual observation from A posted PIC and small amout of verbage...that for THAT animal THAT caliber seemsed to be overkill...whether you like it or not.

Broz replied it was a test for larger game...which I had to concur it seems appropriate then to me...but then some had to come into the discourse with crazy GIF's and such that didnt add 1 single thing to the discussion...and now has caused the thread to totally astray. Thank you very much!

My personal feeling tells me that any of the 3 calibers the OP spoke of would do fine on antelope...and my own choice of the 3 would be the 243...There..as simple as that.

If some teenage girl can kill an elk cow at 6XX yards then I see no problem with using a 243 on an antelope at that or less distances. Evidently some forgot the magical 680 yard elk kil...??

My personal feeling tells me that any of the 3 calibers the OP spoke of would do fine on antelope...and my own choice of the 3 would be the 243...There..as simple as that.

If some teenage girl can kill an elk cow at 6XX yards then I see no problem with using a 243 on an antelope at that or less distances. Evidently some forgot the magical 680 yard elk kil...??
You can kill an elephant with an Ice Pick if you put it in exactly the right spot.

The truth however is that there are so many factors that come into play in the field that kind of prcision cannot be counted on.

It's best to aim for extreme precision and then count on having enough energy delivered on target to make up for all those factors that work against you in the field.

More energy=Cheap Insurance for clean kills. I've personally seen quite a few Antelope run a long ways with multiple hits in the chest from light/fast calibers. Fortunately when Antelope hunting there's usually not a lot of places for them to disappear as they prefer open ground.

I agree, go with the 6.5 Grendel. Heavier higher BC bullets = less wind drift and more retained down range energy.

You like far too many READ something into a post that isnt even there...for people like yourself there is no comment

I didnt ask Broz to "justify" anything. I simply mad a factual observation from A posted PIC and small amout of verbage...that for THAT animal THAT caliber seemsed to be overkill...whether you like it or not.

Broz replied it was a test for larger game...which I had to concur it seems appropriate then to me...but then some had to come into the discourse with crazy GIF's and such that didnt add 1 single thing to the discussion...and now has caused the thread to totally astray. Thank you very much!

L:DL! Hmmm, must have hit a nerve or something ... you better look again, you started it at post #9. lightbulb

The GIF speaks for itself and was originally intended to stay on course but you were all bent about it. :rolleyes:

Take all three for cripes sakes! I always take at least that many and sometimes twice that many on my annual trip to Wyoming!!! Personally though, I would opt for the .243 and that in a Sako is what I will use as my #1 antelope gun next year, followed by my 25-06 Ruger. Then the 06 pre 64 Model 70 and Sako will come out for deer and maybe a cow elk!!!

this is .458 win mag 405 Grain Barnes X Very effective on Lions and other Plains animals.

Big Muley at < 200 yards. Knocked clear off it's feet without a twitch.

Attachments

• Input.jpg
    Input.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 83
  • output.jpg
    output.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 50
  • lefttricept.jpg
    lefttricept.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 59
??? Over the 6.5x284??? Why?

They shoot the same bullets and the x284 does it at higher velocities.

+1! I've taken antelope with 6.5x55 (.140gr), .270 WM (.150gr), and .30-06 (.150gr to .180gr) but my go to caliber is my .300 WMs with pills from .178gr to .210gr, very minimal damage ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/putting-antelope-out-his-misery-78986/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/another-successful-mt-speed-goat-hunt-62066/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/filled-my-antelope-tag-today-48081/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/my-2008-montana-antelope-hunt-37116/

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.