Antelope-good to eat?

I've been using my Ruger M77 25-06 the last few years with 117 grain Hornday BTSPs. This year I have just worked up a load with Hornady 100 grain BTSPs for my Sako .243 and will be using it instead.

Great eating as long as you don't run them. A lot of people will run them for miles And wonder why they stink! Shoot one when it is relaxed and they are great. They do have a sweet taste. I think it is from the sage they eat. Makes great jerky and sasuage too.

Their back straps are the most tender game meat you'll find. I make smoked jerky out of the rest. Sometimes you can shot one that is relaxed and unaware and it still tastes awful. Some are excellent, and others aren't....

Great eating as long as you don't run them. A lot of people will run them for miles And wonder why they stink! Shoot one when it is relaxed and they are great. They do have a sweet taste. I think it is from the sage they eat. Makes great jerky and sasuage too.

+1! I was going through some old pictures of all my hunt here in MT and all of them never knew I was there. :D

Here are some of them ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/another-successful-mt-speed-goat-hunt-62066/
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/putting-antelope-out-his-misery-78986/
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/filled-my-antelope-tag-today-48081/
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/my-2008-montana-antelope-hunt-37116/

This year, I will taking out a couple of Airmen (both from GA) for their first western hunt ever.

They are my son and I's favorite.We always hope for doe tags so we can just eat one at camp.I take a full backstrap,1/2 it and slow cook on bbq.Would be great left over for sandwich,but never have left over:)

Forgot about sandwiches= I smoked a couple of goat hams last year, they come out a little oversmoked to eat as is but sliced it made GREAT sandwiches!
Marinaded in milk will help take out the strong from an old doe.

FEENIX, nice pics. How do I get a tag to hunt antelope in Montana? I live in NY, it looks like fun.

Thanks! Unfortunately, it's too late for this season. Here's MT FWP's website ...

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Hunting and Trapping Licenses

Indeed! Antelope hunting is one of my favorite and I always have a blast.

If you're going to make the long journey here out west, make sure you apply for WY's hunt too - not sure of their regs, hopefully someone will chime in.

WY has the largest antelope population and IMHO has the most out-of-state friendly tags.

Good luck!

Ed

Tastes like mule deer.....sort of.

I have only shot one (in Colorado). The guide took proper care of it and delivered it to a butcher shop that was going to cut and wrap and send to me. There was a mix up at the butcher shop and they sent my meet to a rest home. The guide felt bad about the mixup, so he sent me the meat from a young mule deer. Tasted great, but still don't know what an antelope really tastes like.....

The calibers asked about all kill antelope. In WY its illegal to use a .22 caliber for any big game animal so that leaves the 22-250 off the list. They are thin skinned and have virtually no fat so a bullet that expands rapidly is ideal. They are not big animals. Most mature bucks are less than 110 lbs or so live weight. Bruce

Feenix-

Great pics and stories of your hunts. I lived in GF for quite a time and hunted the Judith Basin and Grass Range / Winnett areas for years. Many great Antelope hunts. Most shot like yours, scouting, stalking, and glassing, Shot all at a rise from the bed, standing or walking. All of them ate well, Thanks for the Pics. I miss central Montana!

Feenix-- those look great, I BBCUE Antelope all the time, Rare to med rare, Its simply the finest meat there is. Its amazing to me how many dont like it or thinks its bad. Feed, area of hunt, time of day, shoot when they are quiet and relaxed, scout ahead to know your prey, cool them fast, keep em clean and eat em' FINE! None Better.

Above is 100% accurate. Since antelope meat has such a low fat content it is best cooked rare.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts