Antelope 1 me 0

D.Camilleri

Well, I have had a couple of doe fawn antelope tags sitting on the table for a while and decided today would be a good day to test out my 215 Bergers out of the 300 ultra mag. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't really that excited about going, but my taxidermist said he needed some full body capes and I figured I could do some trading on my deer mount. So, being a little cocky, I told my wife I wouldn't be home late and I didn't even bring any food with me. I have never hunted this area before, so I had no idea where the speed goats would be. About an hour into driving roads, I came onto my first herd of goats. I wasn't ready and they were too close. By the time I got ready and set up, they were gone. I suddenly realized that hunting after the season has been open for 3 or more weeks, these animals were really spooky. I drove a little further up a road and got on top of a bluff. I spotted a group of goats below and set up for the shot. I had a bit of trouble getting a range, but finally settled of 797 yards. I plugged the numbers into my pda and dialed the turret. I sent the bullet and dirt and rocks blew up from the muzzle brake and the doe was in high gear. Crap, a miss. A few minutes later I got a chance at 450 yards but with no time for dialing. I was set with a 300 yard zero and held about 6 inches over her shoulder. Another miss! Do you see a pattern here? For what it is worth, I am shooting prone with a short bi pod and the shots felt good. On to find more goats. I locate a herd in a sheltered valley and get set up for a 550 yard shot. Again, I am having trouble getting the bushnell 1600 yard range finder to pick up. The vegetation is very sparse, the ground is damp. I dial for the shot and send it. Another miss! While I am laying there is disbelief a herd of goats runs by me at about 50 yards. I didn't want a close shot and even if I had, I didn't want a running shot, so I let them go. I went and checked for blood and after I didn't find any, I decided to kill a rock. I ranged the rock at 244 yards, dialed 2 moa and sent it. Good solid hit. I went and examined the dead rock (granite) and the shot hit about 2 inches low and dead center. So it looks like I better go to the range tomorrow and check my loads. I did open a new can of retumbo, so maybe my zero changed and maybe the velocity changed also. So much for an easy hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts