Another Texan joining up

Texas Republic

Im a member on a couple different forums, but this one seemed to be right up my alley. I hunt a lot of different things. I come from a ranching family background. Ive been blessed by having the opportunity to walk out the front door every weekend and sling my rifle over my shoulder. I visit home as much as possible.

I am also starting to "dart" exotics for money. Its like hunting, except you get paid for it. Great right? You basically tranquilize rams, deer, etc. and then sell them to game ranches so they can "stock" their property. Its much more complicated than it sounds though.

Anyhow. See yall around here.

Welcome to LRH.

Man what a great job to have to hunt and get payed for it! I would love to be able to tell the misses i'm going to work/hunting I'll see you this eveninggun)

BigBuck

Pneu-Dart, Inc - tranquilizer projectors and remote delivery systems

The darting industry is very unique. I was hunting aoudad on the ranch all the time until I found out that one of them by itself can sell for $1000. .lightbulb

Its very expensive as well. Its not actually my "job". I am in my last year of law school, and I am darting them on weekends for money. Its a lot of prep work. Best way to describe it is a mix between bow/rifle hunting. I have only darted for 4 months so far. Three months was preparation. High fence holding pen...customizing a trailer without holes..etc.. My shots have been 30 yards. There are several different types of dart rifles (projectors). Mine shoots a .22 caliber blank. Without much wind, you can supposedly hit an animal 80 yards away. Its about like a paintball gun. gun)

Meds are super expensive. A dart, once filled with some good tranq meds can cost about $50 a shot. And once you shoot it...its done. So regardless...you are about to spend $50 hit or miss. You have to mix the meds before hand in accordance to its body weight and species so you dont overdose the animal. For instance, the amount of tranquilizer that it takes to put down ONE white tail deer will tranquilize FIVE horses. Its something to do with species/enzymes..who knows what. Like I said...its complicated. The website above has it all. Yes...drop charts as well.

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Yeah. There is ALOT of info. I could spend days on here. It makes me realize how much I DONT know. ha-ha. And how much more money I wish I had. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.