Another Range Finder Question???

Original Poster said:
"I just want one that gives me simple distance to target taking into account the angle, dont care about ballistics, wind, any of that"

I have the Leica 1600m, but it will not do what you want. It also makes you pick a ballistic profile and then also adjusts for it's internally measured Pressure and Temp.

I know the Nikon Riflehunter 1000 does what you want, but can only reliably range to 600-700yards and has a horrible backlight problem.

I think maybe the new Swaro EL Range bino's will.

I too would like to just have the angle adjusted range and ignore the temp and pressure. My picked the ballistic profile closest to mine but get overly large adjustments, like 40 yards at 700yards on a 60deg day at 3000' and pressure of 27.0. Seems like too much adjustment.

He wants a no frills angle comp rangefinder.

The Leupy 1000i TBR will do exactly what he wants for $399. 1/10 yard readout for bow hunting too and will range game 600-800.

The Leica 1600B will do what he wants (beyond 100 yards) for $799. It will do a lot more too including ranging out past 1000. (the leica 1600 will not do angle comp, you need the B model)

The only other unit I would consider in that price range is the Bushnell 1600.

BOB
I have the TBRi 1000 but you cannot set it for LOS with angle compensation without picking a ballistic match????????????????????

I am trying to understand why you don't just pick a ballistic profile then get the results you want, "horizontal distance".

From Leupold's site:

True Ballistic Range (TBR)
Not only will you have accurate laser range finding capabilities to 1,000 yards, with True Ballistic Range® technology matched to your rifle's ballistics, you get the ballistics range to the target shown as a holdover point, an MOA adjustment, or the equivalent horizontal distance. The RX™-1000i TBR has Four True Ballistic Range readouts for rifle shooters. MOA: The minutes of angle of elevation to adjust your riflescope for precise zero. HOLD: The number of inches or centimeters to hold over or under aim point on target. MIL: The milliradians of angle of elevation to adjust your riflescope for precise zero. BAS: The equivalent horizontal range for which you should hold for use with your bullet's ballistics.

because its pre set ballistic "groups" you cant input your rifle, you have to find a group that matches, they are very generic

because its pre set ballistic "groups" you cant input your rifle, you have to find a group that matches, they are very generic

I gotcha, I reread it and understand now. My mistake. I assumed it would give you a true shoot to distance, not one compensated for a ballistic profile.

The only one that I know that will do what you are trying to get is the G7. Maybe there are others, but I am not aware of them.

The G7 you input your own ballistic profile.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't help.

Last edited:
If you prefer Vortex, their new unit will also do an "equivalent horizontal distance". I do not believe they have any ballistic curve modes, only line of sight and equivalent distance. I don't know anybody using the Vortex yet but it can't be a bad unit.

here is a link:

Vortex Optics - Ranger 1000

He wants a no frills angle comp rangefinder.

The Leupy 1000i TBR will do exactly what he wants for $399. 1/10 yard readout for bow hunting too and will range game 600-800.

The Leica 1600B will do what he wants (beyond 100 yards) for $799. It will do a lot more too including ranging out past 1000. (the leica 1600 will not do angle comp, you need the B model)

The only other unit I would consider in that price range is the Bushnell 1600.

WB,

Sorry but you can NOT get an "angle only" adjusted range on the Leica 1600 OR the Leica 1600b. I do think they have a profile that will be closer to the OP's load and it will give all the relevant data you would plug into your program which it sounds like you intend to use. I dont intend to use a program which is why I prefer angle only to a min of ~1000yds.

Again the Nikon Riflehunter 1000(~$350) will do it to the same range as the Leupold. I used the Nikon 1200 for 6 years and found it easy and reliable but outgrew it.

I bought one of the new leupold dna range finders, I can get straight line of sight distance, but to use the angle option I have to pick a ballistic match, well my guns dont match any of them.
What is a good range finder that will give me the true distance to the target taking the angle or slope into account without all the ballistic crap?
Thanks

Leica 1600-B

Alan

WB,

Sorry but you can NOT get an "angle only" adjusted range on the Leica 1600 OR the Leica 1600b. I do think they have a profile that will be closer to the OP's load and it will give all the relevant data you would plug into your program which it sounds like you intend to use.

Oh, but you can with the 1600-B model. Make sure it's in the EHR mode and simply range your target. It first gives the true range and about 1-2 seconds later it will pop up with the corrected range based on the angle. Won't work below 80-85 yds.

Alan

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.