Another one for the .338 AM AKA Grim Reaper…

joecool

Unless one of my buddies needs the use of my Kirby special it should be done for the year. My dad took this spike this morning at 550 yards!!! Got the gun all set up put the 76-year-old fellow behind it and let it rip one shot entered behind the left shoulder and out behind the right.

Funny thing is I found the empty jacket on the hide the lead must have kept going. I guess when you have that much energy at 550 things just happen.
1002873zk7.jpg

1002874nm1.jpg

the hole in
1002878nu3.jpg

1002876af8.jpg

1002877wh3.jpg

1002875qo0.jpg

That is a fine shot by your Dad. I am hoping I can do as well when I am that age.

Is that a regular, normal kind of elk? He looks peculiar, like he is part German Shepard or something.:D

That's a special "green grass" elk.

They have been known to be darker, smaller, and friendlier than the larger, "dry grass and timber" elk most of us are familiar with, especially this time of year.:)

Great looking meat though!

Congrats to your dad!

Bob

He's a dink that's for sure!!! Dad just about shot it off the tit… I think I seen some milk on it's chin not sure though but I think it was. LOL You know the folks are getting older there teeth aren't what they use to be, Dad just called said mom cooked some of it up already… really tender he said… hmmm.

They have been known to be darker, smaller, and friendlier than the larger, "dry grass and timber" elk most of us are familiar with, especially this time of year.:)

Congrats to your dad![/QUOTE

You need to get to the coast more everything is green over here… No winter no summer no fall no spring.

Congrats to your dad![/QUOTE

You need to get to the coast more everything is green over here… No winter no summer no fall no spring.

I was over in Vancouver last Wednesday-Friday. You aren't kidding. Rain, rain, rain. Warm though, mid 50's.

Maybe I do need to get over more, Bandon has a golf course or three that are calling me!!

Billl

I was over in Vancouver last Wednesday-Friday. You aren't kidding. Rain, rain, rain. Warm though, mid 50's.

Maybe I do need to get over more, Bandon has a golf course or three that are calling me!!

Billl

Vancouver!!!! Man that's inland; The Bandon Dunes golf course is just about ten minutes or less away from my place. Before they put that in it was a great place to hunt deer.

Congrats!!!!

While that is a bit of a strain on the 300 gr SMK, as you can see, even though it shed its jacket, all that lead still punched clean through which is typical. No substitute for high sectional density bullets!!!

Again, congrats on the good year. Glad your dad got to play with the Reaper!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Vancouver!!!! Man that's inland; The Bandon Dunes golf course is just about ten minutes or less away from my place. Before they put that in it was a great place to hunt deer.

Don't you know that anything west of the Cascades is "the coast" as far as us dry siders are concerned?:D

Heck, with the Columbia right there, it seemed like we were on Puget Sound!

All that green scares me a little, too many trees, no long range shooting!!

I can shoot 1000 yards within 5 miles of my house on public land, closer if I hit up some of my farmer friends!! (Note I said I can shoot, not that I can HIT, which is an entirely different animal as far as I am concerned!)

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.