Another one bites the dust

remingtonman_25_06

Well I had another lucky morning. My dad and I woke up this morning to go yote hunting. It was about 20 degrees outside and frosty. We figured we would patrol around a couple back country farm roads and see what we saw. We were only out about half an hour before I spotted a herd of deer in a CRP field. Putting the binocs on them, there were no bucks. As I was scanning the perimeter, I noticed a pair of ears sticking up. The range was estimated to be about 200 yards, perfect for my 200y zero on my 25-06. I jumped out the truck, flipped the legs down on the bi-pod and let one of Sierras 87g go. At the shot, I seen the dog drop like a rock. The coyote was sitting waiting for an oppurtunity at a deer is what I was thinking. The bullet entered the front of the chest and exited out his back leaving about a baseball sized exit hole. Could not have been a better morning. This is #46 sent to dog heaven. I did take pics, but my comp is really slow and illiterate at posting them.

If your only getting a baseball size hole - You either need a bigger gun or faster more explosive bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I grew up south of you in Madras and found that 270's with 100's or 110's going over 3500 fps really tear a yote apart out to 200 yards.

Good job. I have found that 70 grain ballistic tips out of my .243 win make a baseball sized entrance hole.

Neither yours or mine is much good for saving hides.

My dad and I have made many trips down towards Madras. We have not had to much success in finding yotes down there. We seem to have pretty good luck about an hour south of Burns, and around the Ft. Rock area.

I love hunting 'yotes. Went out before day light and called until noon. Called in 8 dawgs. Shot the first at 307 yards, the second at 295. Then I missed 6 in a row. Went to the range this evening to check the 200 yard zero and had a 3 shot group that measured right at .5 inches center to center less than half an inch away from point of aim. Obviously the rifle is superb and I suck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Gawd how I hate missing a called predator of any kind.

That sounds like some good yote hunting. THe most I ever call in if Im lucky is 3 or 4 at the most. Sometimes I have better luck driving the farm roads early morning/ late evening. At least you got rid of 2 of them dogs. What were you using??

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.