Another new rifle arrived

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Dave King, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Just got my latest Long Range gun, just a plinker.

I'm going to try it out on feral hogs as soon as I get in shape to carry it [​IMG] .

It's a 50 BMG built by G-A Precision (George Gardner and crew of North Kansas City, Mo.) The ammo is from AAA as I don't believe I want to reload for this thing. (Just yet anyway!)
    http://www.aaa-ammo.com/bmg.htm

[​IMG]

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

You better wear one of them truss belts so's you don't get a hernia!

3. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

Now that's my idea of a bitchin 50!!! [​IMG]
    You'da man Dave!

4. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Dave,
    Another Gnats Ass masterpiece!! I have some nasty pills for that toy, 750 grain toothpicks. Will get them to you with the other stuff - (they are taller than a loaded .308 Win. cartridge). Would like you to try the other optic on that boomer, would be a hell of a test. Hope to do that shortly.

That is a nice scope on your rifle [​IMG] Do you think 105 minutes of elevation will be enough...

5. HH .338

HH .338 Active Member

wow cool looking gun Dave! what action is that how long is the barrel and what's in the sock? [​IMG]

later

6. Dave King

Ian

Sure, I'll try some other bullets, gotta get a reloading press for this thing first.
    George helped pick out the scope, it's the 5.5 x 22 with NPR2 reticle.

The rounds I'm going to try/use are 705 grain "Harlow" bullet (solids).
    I'll probably shoot the thing in a few hours, gotta find a suitable backstop.

HH .338
    It's a McMillan action (single shot), 30 inch barrel and another 4 inches of muzzle brake.
    It weighs 29 pounds as seen in the picture. The stock is also McMillan and the scope is the NightForce.
    Bipod is a modified M14 model.

The sand sock is filled with plastic "hobby beads".

7. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

DAVE,
    I recognize the scope, is that your first NXS? I have the same unit and it is superb. Shot a sub 1/4 moa group with it last week.
    Seems to have better resolution than my 3.5-15x50, just a more snappy image. Looks about right on that fifty, I have one on my 40X, you might have seen it at the Badlands.

I was wrong about the 105 moa, that is in your other new scope.

Only suggestion I have would be Max-50's, big rig needs big rings. Have fun you lucky dog.

8. texas

texas Well-Known Member

Dave are you sure that you're not too old to shoot that thing. [​IMG] Maybe one of us younger guys need shoot that HULK when you want to have fun [​IMG]

9. Guest

Guest Guest

[ 07-11-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

10. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

That looks like a good long range varmint rifle [​IMG]

Crow Mag

11. HH .338

HH .338 Active Member

LOL Hobby Beads,....... well several things came to my mind when i read that but i'm sure they are not what i was thinking they were. what exactly are hobby beads?

12. HH .338

HH .338 Active Member

LOL Hobby Beads,....... well several things came to my mind when i read that but i'm sure they are not what i was thinking they were. what exactly are hobby beads?

13. Dave King

Ian

Yup, my first NXS.

Texas

I'm not "old" yet! Next year I'll be old!

S1, CrowMag

Yup, Varmints...pigs is varmints.

HH .338

Hobby beads... They're about as big around as the end of your little finger, all attached to a string. [​IMG]

Actually I get them at a craft store or Walmart. They're the beads used inside some stuffed toys (We're not making much headway on getting of the "Hobby Beads" line of thought are we!).

14. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Interesting 50 to say the least,please keep us posted on the range results of this unit.
    A Texas heart shot with a blue tip aught to get the barbeque started proper=CJ