Another New Dummy

As a general rule a 30mm tube will have more elevation adjustment than a 1 inch tube.

You will need about 30 MOA of up adjustment to get to 1K with a 7 Rem mag. If you use a flat base then this will mean that you will be up close to the top of the adjustment if your receiver is level.

Probably the best thing to do is get a Weaver type slotted rail with 20 MOA of cant built in. You can also get Burris Signature rings with the inserts that will allow you to build cant into the scope. You can do both if you wish. Degrease all of the screws and threads carefully before mounting and use the type of Locktite that can be undone incase you get something wrong.

If you wish to determine if your receiver is level then take your present scope and count the elevation up that is left from your current zero and then count the elevation down from your current zero. If you are close to being in the middle then your receiver is pretty level.

I just bought a Leapers Accushot scope from cheaperthandirt.com for $170. Pretty nice scope with great repeatability with target turrets that lock.
Tried it a little in the evening and on the lower powers it seems like you could shoot up to legal light.
I have put about 100 rounds of 300 mag through it and it did great until the back Leupold ring broke off. No drifting or anything weird.
Good luck

Update!
And thanks to all that have helped;)
I'm still a Dummy, just a little smarter Dummy

I have everything in hand and headed to the Smith tommorrow
As mentioned before I have the Boyds Lam. stock and will have him check the bedding.
I bought a new Ziess Conquest 4.5X14-50 scope with turrets
and Burris bases and Signature series rings.
I liked the idea of being able to buy offset inserts for the rings if the windage is off.
I may not have made all the right choices but bought everything right and still should be under a $1000.00 with the Smith fees and finishing the stock after the smith is done with it.

Don't think you guys are off the hook though.
Now we are going to get into loading and now I have started to get my Contender into the longer range picture.
Think maybe the Girls .08 might need some upgrading also:rolleyes:

I knew you Guys were going to cost me a ton of money:mad:

Thanks again;)
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts