Another man mauled in Hoonah

Cold Trigger Finger

Well, I'm sad to say that another guy that I know got mauled pretty bad last night in Hoonah Alaska. Which is on Chichagof Island in Southeast Alaska.
He was leaving a friends house and a sow with a big cub jumped him by the stairs. This is right in what could be called down town. I don't know anymore yet but will update as I find out more. I understand they medivacd him.

This makes 5 people I know in Hoonah that have been under a bear.

Ya. Punks in brown fur coats.
And of course the state of alaska manages brown bear on the coast for the tourists. So tho the place is over run with them there is only 1 bear every 4 years and no motorized access on road system.
Where I live now in g.m.u. 13 . We don't even need a harvest ticket and there is no closed season. However. There aren't hardly any bears here. In 5 years of living in the Copper Basin I may have seen, 1 grizzly. This spring I cut timber in the Hoonah area and it was common to see 3 or 4 bear a day just on the road or open areas when driving back and forth to work. And I don't mean glassing with binos
Just right there.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.