Another kill with the 338 Lapua!

I am using 82.4 grains of retumbo seated .1 off the lands (first seating depth i tried and it shot so well i just left it) with 215 fed match mag primer, going 2635 fps verified by drops, and while shooting drops, i pulled 2 of the 3 shots and called them exactly where they hit, if a wouldnt have pulled those two shots, it would have been a 1" 3 shot group at 680 yards! At 100 yards you can cover the 3 shot group with a dime. I am having some pressure issues so i am going to give H1000 a try to see if i can get more velocity.

barnesuser28, I use the 300 SMK in my 338LM and the Barnes 225 TTSX in my 338RUM. I just ordered the 280 Barnes LRX to experiment with. If I may ask, what load did you use in your Lapua?

Sidecarflip, currently, the weather is very cold down here in NM, many areas received rain/snow. Corona NM has always been a great place for mule deer, especially on private ranches. It can be fairly open down there, so you may have some long shots. It was a very dry year, but Corona usually has a large population of deer.

PS, bring your Tums and Pepto and you'll be fine.

Tums and Pepto will be packed along with a couple cases of bottled water to stay hydrated. Will be an interesting (food wise) Thanksgiving away from the family I suspect. A couple extra rolls of TP are probably in order as well, for the pack....

According to NWS, the long range (and probably not real accurate forecast is for 50's during th day and 20's at night which is about what it is here.

I've been told that we will be glassing from predetermined by the guide vantage points and then hunt/stalk the mule deer. To that end, I bought and broke in a new pair of Meindl 10" hunting boots. I'm anticipating the terrain is quite a bit different than around here in Michigan.

The 'land cannon' is packed in the storm case but I really favor the 308. 2 of us are driving out, leaving on Wednesday morning, the third is flying into Albuquerque and grabbing a rental vehicle. Been to Clovis many times on business but never south of there. The one hunter is our company pilot and I tried (in vain) to get the company to let us take the jet out but at 10 grand an hour, it's an expensive date, too expensive for us.

We were told it has been dry but then, it's been dry here too and the dryness hasn't seemed to effect th local whitetail population, quit a few are winding up as bumper decorations.....:) North of here, the whitetails are suffering a bit from 'blu-tongue disease'. especially in the eastern central part of the state where the DNR estimates over 15,000 have died.

The only thing the dryness is doing is causing farmers like me, grief.

Probably the only item not covered or gone over is the processing issue. We are planning on field dressing for mounts and having the mounts done locally there but the meat will need to be frozen so we can pack it (in coolers in dry ice) for the trip back. In as much as we have no idea who does what out there, that is going to b a crap shoot.

Any help you can offer or advice would be appreciated.

SidecarFlip, Corona is different from Clovis, NM. The Corona terrain, varies, with mountains, not big and some fairly tall rolling hills, lots of scrub oak with some pine trees and grass. Some places on the hills may be a little rocky (small rocks). It will depend on where the ranch is located, but I like hunting in that area. Hunters have taken some decent mulies out of there in past years, wide, but not usually heavy horned. Shots that I have seen, seem to be within 50- 300 yards or so on average, but in some places, you can stretch it out much further.

The 308 will be fine, if that's what you want to use. However, it's great that you brought a back up rifle in a larger caliber, just in case. The ranchers in that area can hook you up with meat cutters and packers, as cattle farming is big around Corona.

Albuquerque to Corona is a fairly good quick, easy drive, maybe 2 hours and the ABQ Airport is not big, crowded or conjested. and it's right off I-25, one of the main interstates through NM.

I think you will enjoy your hunt, good luck!!! Please let us know and post some pictures.

Thanks barnesuser28! I tried the 285 Hornady's and they shoot great, 5 into 1/2 MOA consistently, but not sure how well they would work on game. The 225 TTSX's I took to Africa, worked great! I just want a bullet bigger than 225 grains with a high BC.

Thanks barnesuser28! I tried the 285 Hornady's and they shoot great, 5 into 1/2 MOA consistently, but not sure how well they would work on game. The 225 TTSX's I took to Africa, worked great! I just want a bullet bigger than 225 grains with a high BC.
I dont think i would trust them for hunting, if you look closely at the tip you can see it is pointed and the inside meplat diameter is smaller then the 300 grain SMK or 300 grain berger. .025 inside diameter for the hornady, .037 inside diameter for the smk and berger, and .095 inside diameter for the 280 grain LRX.

2 things

1. You have to be at least 35 years old to be president (too young IMO)

2. Im not into politics.... like at all.

barnesuser28, I am currently running 300 SMK's and 93 grains of H-1000 with Fed 215 primers in my 338 LM and getting 2820fps. Accuracy is very good. I just like the Barnes Bullets. I too will try the LRX with H-1000.

2 things

1. You have to be at least 35 years old to be president (too young IMO)

2. Im not into politics.... like at all.

1 is subject to change at any time and I fully understand 2. I wish I wasn't either. When your wife runs for an elected position, you get involved, lik it or not.

When my son Matt was 14, all that was on his mind was girls. He's in his early 30's now and still thinks about girls, I imagine. He was never intersted in firearms at all. Went to law school and became an attorney. I would have preferreed something more blue collar. Would have been cheaper for me tuition wise.

I have 4 grandkids, all girls. I need to get them intersted in hunting, if he will let me and thats doubtful.

Hey sidecar i got a 223 rem question for you, i was out reloading some 55 grain fmj in hornady brass, win primer, and 24 grains of Varget. I looked at the back of a fmj and saw the exposed lead at the tail end and thought "Well that oughta rip a huge hole in a coyote" So i loaded five backwards to see if they shoot worth anything, and since there is more bullet in the case i dropped the powder charge to 20 grains of varget and sat them .035 farther from the lands when measured from the ogive. Should these be safe to shoot? Have you ever tried it and what kind of accuracy did you get? Im only hoping for like 2" groups at 100 yards.

I never tried that. I use 55 grain Hornady spire points in Federal brass with H335 or 322 and SR primers loaded the pointed end out..... I believe you'll have issues with Varget in that small case, getting the bullet down the tube

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.