Another dall ram hits the dirt!!! The toughest shot of my life.

Wow, I don't know how I missed that part when I read your story. So sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers go out to those involved.

Thats my fault. I decided to add that a few minutes after the post. I just thought it would be a good remider to all how quickly and seemingly easily hunting accidents happen. I hope all out there keep these thoughts close in mind this and every hunting season. We all want to come home saftely from our trips and we certainly dont want to have prevented someone else from coming home on our conscience. Happy and safe hunting to all.

M E

Great write up, and nice ram.

Even better reminder to all. It only takes a split second with your head not in the game for things to turn tragic.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

Chris

Michael,
Great hunting story, that is what legends are made about. In a stressfull situation like having a wounded animal(worst of a wounded dall ram), and being capable of making such a hard shot is just amazing, shows your knowledge and skill !!! IMPRESIVE, congratulations, and thank you for sharing. The pictures are awesome, great scenery and great hunting pictures. That is what I want heaven to look like:)

Making all of us remember that life is fragile, and that tragic accidents can happen in our beloved sport, is very important to all of us, if that makes us be SAFER HUNTERS in the future. My prayers to your friend and his family.

Great story and pics, loved it!! Congrats to the both of you.

Dall sheep is definately on my top 5 trophy list, one day...

Oh BTW, good luck with sending that ACI into sniper tools and having them fix the problem. I had a problem with mine literally falling apart on my 338 EDGE after only 20 rounds and when I called them to see if I could have them fix it, they simply stated that they dont repair them. He walked me through on how I could fix it, but I'm no good at fixing stuff, and when I tried, the level would stick, so obviously something wasn't right. I dont see how a company like that, doesn't have a repair or return policy on a $150 piece of equipment that is suppose to be battle proven tough. I wasn't tough on mine at all, it went from the closet to the range 3 times and it just fell apart literally. He said this was the first case he had heard of them doing this, and they've been on all sorts of 50 BMG's. I am not lying, just telling it how it happened.

I eventually sent it to Shawn Carlock who built my 338 EDGE and who I purchased the ACI tool from and had it installed in the first place. He had it back within a week or so. So big thanks to Shawn as it seems to be working great now after around 20 rounds through it so far.

That is an awsome story. Even better pics. I'll make it up there one day. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry about the young lady. That is horrible.

How much do you think that rifle weighs? 10-11lbs?

How do you tell if a ram is eight or not? What physical characteristics do you look for?

That is an awsome story. Even better pics. I'll make it up there one day. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry about the young lady. That is horrible.

How much do you think that rifle weighs? 10-11lbs?

How do you tell if a ram is eight or not? What physical characteristics do you look for?

1: Thanks. I was able to see the family the other day. They are doing well. She was doing a moose drive and was hidden by tall grass. A moose popped up and her sister fired and missed hitting her instead. Her father was there and was able to be with her untill the helochopter took her to the hospital. She passed away in route. They were wearing hunter orange as well but due to the grass, they couldnt see her. The odds of her getting hit were next to nothing. Unfortunately that day the minimal odds were enough.

2: That rifle weight just a tad over 10# compete.

3: Age of rams can be determined by horn annuli. If theyre horns are lighter in color and their rings are well defined, they can be pretty easy to identify and count. Sometimes they are not such as his buddy who was clearly bigger and more dominant, however his horns were dark and I could not count more than a few rings so I could not ID him as "age legal" and had to hold my fire. I am sure he is at least 8 or 9 but I cant prove it without pulling the trigger and I just dont want to risk being wrong.

Below is a picture of horn annuli. You can rarely see #1 which is the lamb tip but the second ring is a double line bump. The 3rd is the first really defined single ring. In the picture, there is a green line by the tip. You typically cant see any rings there on most rams but when you lay your hands on the horns you can decern that they are the lamb tips. Typically you start counting from the 2nd or 3rd rings as they are what is visible. In this rams case, I could make out his #2 ring or more appropriately his double bump. From there I counted forward and ended with 8 which makes him legal.

Annuli.jpg

What a great hunt in beautiful country!
Sympathies to the girl's family, especially her sister. About 4 years ago a friend of mine was deer hunting with his early teenaged son and wife when a ricochet struck and killed his wife. She was in oak woods and the odds of a bullet making its way through the trees at that angle after a ricochet were almost zero but it happened. We can't understand things like this, we just have to fall back on faith. Prayers to the family.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.