Another Chrony Question

sendero72

I have a Beta Master Chrony. If I take a Sharpie and put a black ring around the bullet out in front of the ogive, will the chrony see that ring and be more accurate. I have a plastic drill bit diameter guide so I thought I could use it to be precise and consist with the sharpie ring. Is this stupid or not?:) The book does say that the eye sensors detect the change in the amount of light. Has anyone tried this?

Sendero,

Most chronographs operate off of the shadow of the bullet passing the skyscreens, not some arbitrary mark on the bullet itself. I'd have to say no, it's not going to make any difference whatsoever. If you're concerned about accuracy, I'd suggest upgrading the chronograph itself, to say something like the Oehler 35P, using farther screen spacings, that sort of thing.

I have read that if you darken the entire bullet, not just a ring will help, especially if your bullets are shiny. This was advice given to me by Oheler also.

I have a buddy that blackens his entire tips especially on very bright days. He claims better results. My understanding is that very shiny bullets like the Bergers and Noslers can produce a glint, or reflection that can give a bad reading. I try to do my serious Chrono work in overcast days, or sunlight protected areas with an open sky and have not seen a difference between shiny Bergers and the dull JLK's giving constant results. I use an Oehler 35P

I have used this same chrono for years.....darken the bullet that sticks out of the case, use your screens and if you can...just a shady area to shoot under, so yes a umbrella would work great!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.