Another caliber question, This time the .204 Ruger

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by MasonG, Nov 12, 2012.

1. MasonG

MasonG Well-Known Member

Who shoots a .204 Ruger? I would like to set one up for small game (rabbit, fox, etc.) for my first build. I'm looking at a Savage 12 with fluted bull barrel. What kind of range can you get? Thanks!

2. ilscungilli

ilscungilli Well-Known Member

I shoot the 39 gr. Blitzkings out of mine. My longest shot on a PD was 614 yards, and that seemed like the limit for me with the optics and wind I had. I generally keep the shots to within 500 yards for PDs with most in the 300-400 yard range.

3. Djbuttolph

Djbuttolph Member

I've got a bone stock Savage Model 12 in .204. I've got the thumbhole stock, with fluted bull barrel. My gun loves 39 gr Blitzkings, but hates 40 gr vmax. A lot of people can't get the 40 gr to group but 39's work great. I get about 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards if I hold my own. I've taken p dogs out to 500 with it, if conditions are right I'm sure 650 is very possible as long as you have the glass.

4. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Bought this SS flutted factory varmint barrel from Northlander years ago and put it on an old 223 Tacticle that thought it was a shotgun.
    This barrel never liked the 32 grainers in any mfg but does alright with the 40 grain Vamxes(½ to 3/4 MOA consistantly) with Tac powder. What it really does well with is 39 grain Sierras and a full load of Benchmark! If we are having a good day its a bad day for prairie dogs out to 500 yards or so, inside of 350 they dont stand much of a chance....depending on my ability to read the wind. It might do better with a better scope but the 12x Leupold works for what I've asked of it. This gun also has a 223ai barrel that will outrange the 204 with heavier bullets but has not been on the gun since I bought the 204.....Not really sure why?

[​IMG]

As good as it is it will still will not hold a candle to the 20PPC shooting the same bullet and powder. This is without a doubt the best $550 I've ever spent on a used rifle as it just plain shoots!! It takes the fun out of shooting inside of 400 yards.....Well? almost and has taken a couple @ 750 yards.

[​IMG]