another Braked 300 rum ?

Ok here are the scopes that I have for this rifle, it is a Hunting rifle Savage, 20 MOA base, B&C stock, and Factory 26" barrel and Factory Brake, older rifle 116 FSAK

I need to pick one that will be good for hunting to the MAX range of the rifle and stand up to the Recoil of the braked rifle.
The scopes I have on hand are as follows:
•10X US Optics SN10
•Horus vision Model 1000 Falcon 4-16x50
•Sightron S3 Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus Mil-Dot
•Nikon 2.5 - 10x Tactical Scope
•IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical Scope, 30mm tube, MP8 reticle

current scope is MP8 IOR but not yet zeroed.....

Photo

I'm not sure how accurate that rig is so I'll estimate at 1 moa , with say a 200 gr Accubond bullet , that will get you onto an elk at 800 yds or so with enough accuracy and thump to make a clean kill.

Any of the scopes you mentioned will get you on target at 1000yds and all are quality scopes so the recoild from this gun shoulden't be any problem. In short I'd pick the one you like the best

yes the gun shoots 3/4 MOA, I am no stranger to long range shooting been doing it in the army for 17 years, but I am not familiar with the strength of these scopes I have except the USO, but I think straight 10 power is not real good for most hunting, I am thinking the Sightron or the IOR is going to be a good bet, no Idea how strong the Nikon is ?

Fmsniper, before you make your decision ask yourself some basic questions:

Where will I hunt with this rifle? ...terrain may dictate that your choice.

Will I have a range finder with me?

Will I have a spotting scope with me? If you don'tcarry a spotting scope, using a higher power scope really comes in handy deciding weather you want to take a specific animal.

How long of shot do I want to be prepared to take? If you know you won't shoot over 400 yards (for whatever reason), a lower power scope will work just fine: If you are hunting open mountains with cross canyon shots, then your 4-16, or 6-24 is a likely choice.

TAC

Food for thought on the IOR 2.5-10X (I have three of them):
1) Their advertised eye relief is optimistic. On my hunting weight rifles (a .300 Win mag & a 6.5/284) I have gone to the extreme of removing 1/2" of the eye piece shroud to avoid occasional blows to my forehead. This mod makes adjusting reticle focus a pain, but once it is set for my eye I don't change it anyway.

2) All my IOR 2.5-10X's are marked as having 1/2 minute adjustments. Don't believe it! Mine measure out to .452 inch per click at 100 yards. As long as your ballistic software allows input of "non-standard" click values this isn't a show stopper either.

As an aside, my IOR 4-16X is also marked as having 1/2 minute clicks; it measures out to .345" per click at 100 yards. This is really close to 1/10 mil, so I don't mind. It seems the IOR strategy for dealing with their crazy American customers is to just stamp on the knob whatever they most have asked for... Buyer beware.

Dave

Good stuff:
[ QUOTE ]
1) Their advertised eye relief is optimistic.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very true. The international standard (ISO 14490-1) to which these things are measured call for eye relief to be measured to the vertex of the ocular lens. Unfortunately, this particular scope has that ocular way "in there" compared with most scopes. Just something to keep in mind--I don't have problems with it on my unbraked 300 RUM but I mount my scopes pretty far forward.
[ QUOTE ]
2) All my IOR 2.5-10X's are marked as having 1/2 minute adjustments. Don't believe it! Mine measure out to .452 inch per click at 100 yards. As long as your ballistic software allows input of "non-standard" click values this isn't a show stopper either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. 1/8 Mil (.450") is what mine measured. Not a problem if you know about it, but a big enough difference to cause problems if you don't.

Good to know I'm not the only one who noticed these things. I'm not nuts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I still love the scope though. Outstanding all around scope for the money!
[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, my IOR 4-16X is also marked as having 1/2 minute clicks; it measures out to .345" per click at 100 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I'm assuming this is an older model? My relatively new 4-14 is marked .25 MOA and that's exactly what they measure (.262" @ 100 yds). Though I'd prefer 1/10 Mil clicks, especially on a FFP model. Does yours happen to be an older FFP Illuminated?

Oh, and to add my 2 cents to fmsniper's question, for the MAX range of the 300 RUM I'd prefer more power than 10. I've used the IOR 2.5-10X out to 1000 yds and it does really well, but for that range and especially well beyond it, I'd prefer more power...and a parallax adjustment. Thus the 3-18 I have on order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I can't personally vouch for either of the >10X you list holding up to the recoil.

I agree I think 10 X is a little short for 800 meters plus, I may end up pulling my Luppy M4 off of my AR10 and using it, since the AR10 is 308 I will not hunt with it out past 600 meters, I have a 6x32 NF BR on my 338 Luppy but that will stay, if I knew the S3 would hold up i would use it?

I was going to say the sightron has the best power range suited to the range of the 300. I would use that but I dont know to much about sightron and how tough they are either. I prefer around 18-20x for 1000 yard shooting. 14x will work if you have fine duplex or something like that though.

I concur the IOR's are a very good value; mine have been perfectly reliable & repeatable. The optical clarity is at least as good as my Leupolds and one Nightforce.

As you suspected, my 4-16X is the older first focal plane model. If this scope had a zero stop it would be just about perfect...

DC

I just bought a Sightron SII for a soon to be picked 300RUM. I called Sightron and was told that as long as I stay with an SII or III they will hold up fine, I even specified on a braked rifle. She also said no questions asked warranty, any problem send it back. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.