Another AR QUESTION.

kc

A real good friend was told of a company that will send all the parts so you can build the entire rifle and save a bundle of money it sounds like BS even he said the same.
Is there any truth to this or some BS that was started?

A real good friend was told of a company that will send all the parts so you can build the entire rifle and save a bundle of money it sounds like BS even he said the same.
Is there any truth to this or some BS that was started?

You can buy any part you need on the net. To save money you realy need to already own or have a friend who owns the mounting blocks for the upper reciver and a support block for the lower so you dont brake of bend anything durring assembly. You will need a torque wrench for the barrel. Their very simple.

If you can pick up a receiver for a decent price, you can order a parts kit and build a rifle more towards what you want, and on average save $200. Or used to.

I assembled my first AR for a friend that did this, I think he was out a total of $400 after he put a $50 scope on it. It would shoot lights out at 100yds he was plumb tickled.

Then again a built a NM RRA and it cost me the same as if I'd bought one straight from RRA. I got peace of mind that I assembled it to my tolerances, and I did one or two things different than a factory NM. So in the end I didn't save any money, but I got a couple of preferences.

Such is the BRD! When you build, you have more control over the options to choose from.

Out of the half dozen ARs I've assembled I find I prefer the RRA parts, and their price.

It is actually a buyers market right now as far as AR's go. If you are patient and frugal, you can save some buying good used parts that are available on the net. The Equipment Exchange on AR15.com is a great place to look for parts. I built my own to get the exact parts that I wanted. I bought a Seekins custon lower with an ambi bolt release and a low deck that shot my build price up, but it is #5 out of the production. If you are going to buy all new parts and a quality optic, you are still going to be in the $1,800 dollar range. YMMV

If youi find a rifle which is exactly what you want it's usually cheapest to buy already assembled. Preferably used, local, and a private sale so (in most states) you don't pay shipping, tax, or FFL fees. Gun shows are a good place for those, sometimes internet auctions if the seller is in your state.

If you plan to change many parts such as custom triggers, stocks, handguards, even barrels it usually makes more sense just to buy all the parts except a stripped receiver off the internet and get the receiver at a local gunshop. Shipping costs are lower if you get several parts from the same suppler. You only pay tax on about $100 for the receiver.. With that method you get all new parts.

Last edited:
rewinder said:
Model 1 sales Model 1 Sales: COMPLETE KITS sells you everthing but the lower . Randy

Typically these rifle kits include a fully assembled (barreled) upper receiver, a handgrip and stock, and a bag of internal parts for the lower receiver that you bought from an FFL. Detailed instructions are available on the web. No need for special tools, except maybe a set of roll pin punches. Standard punches work, but increase the chances of scratching your receiver. You can minimize scratches by liberally applying masking tape around the roll pin holes.

I recommend not going with the lowest price parts kit, unless you know what you're doing. Those vendors seem to skip over the quality steps, leaving you to do that for them. I had to rebuild a new bolt from one such vendor. I took me a while to figure out the problem (broken gas check ring and defective extractor spring).

Do your research before buying. Also check out J&T Distributing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts