Another 7RUM 1st long range kill

Brain

I read something new here almost daily and have learned a tremendous amount of information since I first started visiting here over a year ago. Given that, a big thanks goes out to everyone on LRH for sharing your knowledge.

This past summer I decided to rebarrel my Rem 700 7 Rem Mag to 7RUM. I had gained access to more open land where long distance shots were possible and I had also reached a point in my shooting abilities where I had become comfortable in shooting longer distances. I spent a lot of time with the rifle, chronograph, and loading bench throughout early fall and felt I was ready to move beyond 300 yards this season.

Three weeks ago, I took the first whitetail with the rifle at 240 yards. The following week I took a groundhog at 314 yards. This past Thursday, I took a small buck at 402 yards. Yesterday, I finally broke the 500 mark and took a 10 point at 598 yards. Field dressed at just over 200lbs. Maybe a lightweight by northern and western standards, but fairly hefty by Virginia standards. I have pictures, but nowhere to host them. Maybe I can figure something out and get them up here.

All of these were one-shot, DRT kills. Ranging, reading wind, comparing data, turret clicking, and firing sequence were almost second nature having practiced it many times over the past year.

Thanks again!
Brian

Ranging, reading wind, comparing data, turret clicking, and firing sequence were almost second nature having practiced it many times over the past year.

Wish I were that comfortable.

Very good success. You're doin' good!!!

Try photobucket.com I've found it a bit more friendly than hunt101.net.

very nice looking forward to seeing pics. And about hunt101.com their huntin hotties are sure easy on the eyes while your posting pics

Thanks for the link to the picture hosting site. Let me know if the pic isn't working.

I guess I should clarify.

After many years of learning and practice, this year was the first I felt completely comfortable with taking an animal at longer distances. The possibility of wounding weighs very heavily on me and everything must be perfect in order for me to move the safety forward.

This past year was also the first in which I learned of a group of people with similar interests...the crowd here on LRH.com. Most everyone will brag or boast about long range kills, but their idea of long range is 200 yards. The folks here on LRH.com do not brag or boast, and their stories of shots are very, very informative as they truly are what I consider to be long range on active targets. Going from paper or steel, to a living being is night and day in my book. The information exchange concerning this is what I am thankful for.

Brian

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.