Another .300 Win Mag load question

Jtomlinson

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum having previously only posted on both Nitro Express and Accurate Reloading Forums. I have only just discovered this site /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have just made my first move towards a long range hunting ability with the purchase of a Sendero SFII in .300 Win Mag.

Load testing has rarely begun as weather here in the U.K and work commitments have allowed for only 2 outings to the range so far.

Initial trials look promising with standard Factory GECO 180 soft nosed shooting into 3/8 for 3 shots at 100 yards.

The only mod to the rifle is to the bedding and an adjustment to trigger pull down to a more acceptable 2 1/2 lbs.

I have my first hand-load worked up to try (weather permitting this week -end) the load uses W-W brass; Fed #215 primers and so far 200 grain accubonds

I have 20 rounds made up with H 1000 - 10 with 78.5 grains and a further 10 with 78.7 grains, these have been used by forumites on the AR forums and found to give good results on accuracy.

I have a tub of Rel #22 on the shelf and was thinking of trying that also (possibly around the 71 -72 grain mark??)

I also have and would like to try out the Barnes TSX 180 grainers as I have had great accuracy with the .270" 130 grain version.

Again W-W brass and Fed 215 primers are to be used.

Has anyone found a sane accuracy load for this bullet or have any feedback on its accuracy and terminal perfomrance and that of the Accubond?

I have found that the magazine length of the Sendero will permit loading close to the lands if this will make any great difference.

Any thoughts or data would be greatly appreciated.

First off , welcome aboard, I think you'll find this a great place for info.

Before I got my 6.5-284 I used my 300 WM for whitetail hunting, I shot 7 or 8 deer that weighed between 100 lbs and 170 lbs.. The ranges were between 40 yds and 350 yds all but one bullet exited weather the deer was broadside or quartering, the one that didn't was shot through both shoulders of a 160-170 lb buck at about 250 yds and retained about 65% of its weight.

The load was WW brass, FED 215 primers, 71 grs of Re22, and the 200 gr Accubond. Seems to knock the snot out of whatever it hits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

600NITRO
Welcome to the forum,Enter of your own free will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I have found the 300wm a very impressive tool.I use extensively 190smk and 180 nosler bt ,Out of Lapua cases with fed210 primers.The powder of choice is R19 the only powder I tried.Both rounds shoot to the same point of zero,and both very accurate.Do a search on the 200accubonds as it is a very popular round on the forum.Did you buy the accubonds in the U.K

Favorite load for my 300 Win Mag Model 70 Laredo LRH is 82.5 grain of H-1000 using 180 grain Hornady BTSP at 3000 fps. Average group 3/4", five shot at 100 yards. Recently switched to 180 grain TSX Barnes for better bullet and ballistic using 73.5 grain of IMR 7828. This is a starting load on any manual but already getting 3000 fps plus coming from the 26" factory barrel. Accuracy is outstanding. Tried R22 once and gave up on them. My result is not encouraging. I'm pretty sure others have different result. Goodluck.

Gentlemen

Thank you all for your input and for the welcome to this forum, I have already gained a fantastic insight into the world of long range hunting by simply reading what has previously been posted, no more just accepting out of the box performance from rifles and ammunition.

I should perhaps have mentioned that the .300 Mag is, I suppose, my second inroad into LR capability, I too have a 6.5 -284" that is just now coming "on song" accuracy wise ( mainly due to my lack of spare time to spend on load development) happily however a good load has now been arrived at.

The more I read of and use the .300 the more I am coming to like it and recognise it as a great long tool.

I have not even contemplated the upgrades available such as MacMillan stocks, Jewell triggers etc, so far the Sendero with few mods is showing real promise, and as they say, " if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I appreciate the load data supplied and am interested to note the suggestion of IMR 7828, I had not even considered its use, but have a tub on the shelf that I have not found a use for as yet, so that may well be worth a try.

I will get some 180 TSX's loaded and if lady luck holds and our weather over the week end holds good I will hopefully try them out on Sunday and post any promising results.

Aficionado, the bullets came from Edgar Brothers in Macclesfield who presently have them in stock. The TSX are stocked by York Guns.

Also shortly, GS Custom are to become available from RSA (www.gscustom.co.za) an importer in Scotland is awaiting his first shipment. They offer amongst other weights, a 165 grain .308 bullet (HV) that uses drive bands, a little like the TSX, but with narrower bands which act as a true drive band unlike those on the Barnes. Reports from others who have used both the HV and flat nosed solids seem to support the design as being good in keeping pressure low whilst at the same time permitting high velocities.

Possibly others on this forum have used them and can provide feedback on their performance?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.