Annual Hunting Retreat - The Best!

trebark

This past weekend was fantastic! My brother, nephew and I attended our cousin's annual Hunter's Retreat for the opening of rifle season here in Virginia. There is nothing better than spending time with family and friends.

Everyone arrived on Friday evening and unloaded their gear. Then on Saturday morning, the group generally has breakfast at 6:00am and gets in the woods shortly after. My nephew and I decided we would have breakfast early so we could be set up before dawn. Got set up on a powerline around 6:15am and got out the Kestrel and PDAs. Entered all the atmospheric conditions, then just as we had enough light, we started ranging landmarks. Ranged 400 as the long shot, then 337…ooh-ooh! There's a deer standing next to that bush. Ooh-ooh! there's two of them. One walked off while the other moved further into the middle of the powerline and stood broadside at 337. My nephew checked his PDA, dialed the scope on his laser-accurate 270, I made a zero wind call. 'send it'. Upon impact, deer hit the ground, got up and ran a short distance then tumbled down the hill. Nephew smiled the biggest grin! I slapped him on the back, shook his hand and told him how proud I was of him!

It was now 6:35am and because we could see the deer dead on the ground, we stayed put as there was plenty of time for more deer to walk by. Also, thought that having a dead deer out there would be a perfect decoy. After some time, we resolved to go put our hands on my nephew's deer at 9:00. At 8:55 "here comes another one". The 'decoy' worked great. Deer walked circles around the 'decoy' and gave me a quartering-away shot at 280yards. Deer ran short distance and rolled down the hill.

It wasn't long after taking the second deer my brother ("the photographer" – love it!) comes on the walkie-talkie to say that he's close-by and will be over soon. It was great to have him there to see the smile on his son's face and to take some great pics.

Can lightning strike twice?

On Monday (no hunting on Sundays in Virginia) Nephew and I got set up in the same place on the powerline at 6:15. No action at first light. Resolved that we would get up and go at 9:00. At 8:55, I woke my nephew up to tell him 'ooh-ooh, here comes one'. Ranged the deer at 300. Although it was a small one, he determined he would shoot. While he checked his PDA and dialed his scope, I continued to range and monitor wind. I told him to wait for a minute because the deer looked back. It got about half way across the powerline and it was shoot or don't shoot time. Deer stopped broadside at 290, zero wind, 'send it'. Same result as before. Several minutes later, another deer comes from the same place. Ranged it at 300 (300+ was my benchmark to shoot). Deer stopped broadside in the middle of the powerline, 300 yards, zero wind, 'send it'. Deer made it a short distance into the woodline. Heard it go crashing down although we did not see it go down. Nephew was astute enough to remember the spot where the deer went into the woods and we got on the blood trail (ever tried blood trailing a deer with a 13.5lbs long-range rig?) After short blood trail, I found the deer dead under a big log. I mention that I found the deer because this was the first time I've ever blood trailed with my nephew and he didn't see the deer first! And I've hunted with him since he was nine!

For some of the particulars, nephew's rifle is 270win shooting 130grain Hornady SST at 3060fps.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

My rifle is a 260 shooting 140VLD at 3019fps.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

Here are a few pics….

The set-up

thesetup.jpg

Looking back at our firing point

firingpoint.jpg

The hike (down the hill, up the hill, down the hill, up the hill to the deer)

thehike.jpg

The 280 and 337 yard trophies! This increases nephew's record shot by 100 yards from last year.

290and337.jpg

Lightning striking twice at 290 and 300 yards. 300 is now my personal best.

Monday.jpg

I hope all of you have the opportunity to spend some time in the woods with your family.

Way to knock 'em down ol pal! It's time like that that just can't be beat! I hope my season up here results in equal success:)

Good post and nice review of the retreat. Those are some good pictures of how the retreat is a positive experience. I was in that spot Friday morning. However, with no pressure moving the deer with only 2 of us out there I didn't see any deer. Luck and patience are key to sit in this spot. I am sure someone from our family will get lucky over there again. I did a count and in the last 3 years 10+ deer have been taken from that powerline area.

Good job Uncle! I've got a couple young nephews just about old enough(next year) to take their first deer. Good Lord willing I will have similar photo's then!

Good job Uncle! I've got a couple young nephews just about old enough(next year) to take their first deer. Good Lord willing I will have similar photo's then!

My nephew started asking to hunt with me when he was six or seven. He had to wait until he was nine so that he could sit still and keep up with me all day when we moved.

I like the pics! It's a little different than where I hunt and nice to see different terrain. Looks like the power lines are the best LR shooting lanes available to you guys.

Looking at that first pic, I realized that you sure can tell a LR hunter by the pile of support gear next to their shooting position :D

I like the pics! It's a little different than where I hunt and nice to see different terrain. Looks like the power lines are the best LR shooting lanes available to you guys.

Looking at that first pic, I realized that you sure can tell a LR hunter by the pile of support gear next to their shooting position :D

Glad you like the pics.

My nephew and I remarked that the extra gear we were carrying for long-range hunting added more than a couple of pounds to the load-out.

Very nice story, nice shooting!!!
Its got to be great to hunt with your nephew like that.:)
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the story that is great. Glad to see that he is enjoying his rifle great shooting. Hope to have my twin girls doing that in couple more years.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.