Annealing?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by kc, Mar 15, 2011.

1. kc

kc Well-Known Member

Is it worth annealing my Brass?

2. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

You might want to put some context around that question.

I feel like Lapua and Norma are better annealed to start with and I haven't kept any long enough to require annealing it myself.

3. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

I anneal every 5 firings. If I go longer than that, I can start to see some marks on the neck I'll 'fatique', for lack of a better term, and then soon after comes neck cracking. I've found this to be the case with Rem 300RUM brass and 338 Lapua brass, although I've not cracked a Lapua caseneck, though I see the same markings start to appear on these as on 300RUM brass that then will start to crack a couple of fireings later. As much as cracking is an issue, another issue avoided by anealing is work hardening of the neck to the point that it won't form well when sized. Experiences and milage may vary, but I've persoannly found that annealing every 5 firings seems to keep things running pretty smoothly overall. Just me--there's many on here with muchmore expereince than I...

4. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

I just recently started annealing last year and so far the Frontier .300WinMag cases I annealed have provided sub 1/2" MOA out to 500dys. I agree with JMDEN, it does seem to help keep your brass running smoothly. Neck tension is more consistent.
    I just annealed all the R P .25-06 cases I had this past Saturday. Had a total of 43, started out with 100. Most of this batch I lost to split necks but it was a bad batch from day one. I lost a dozen after the first firing.
    Is is worth it? To me, yes. I like doing it and being frugal, I consider it PM's on my brass. I purchased 100 Lapua cases for my 6.5-284Norma less than a year ago. I am starting on my 3rd reloading and have only neck sized these cases. I haven't had to trim them and I don't know if that's due to the quality of the brass or the chamber in my rifle. I tend to think a little of both. After this 3rd firing I will anneal them all. JohnnyK.