Angle Doping???

"I understood it as:
If, ACI reading = 94
Then, multiply .94x(ranged yardage) and use the drop data for the outcome.

Example:
ACI reading = 94
Ranged yardage = 465
.94 x 465 = 437
Elevation value for 437 yards = 5.1 MOA
Dial 5 MOA up and squeeze!
Is that right? "

You are spot on. I got lost in the heat of the moment on my math. You are doing it exactly right. Ther percentage from 90 degrees is applied to the yardage. Not the dope. My bad. Now do I ever feel stupid. The ACI tool really is a great way to do this but you can still do the same thing with a 1.99 angle finder and a calculater.

[ QUOTE ]
Example:
ACI reading = 94
Ranged yardage = 465
.94 x 465 = 437
Elevation value for 437 yards = 5.1 MOA
Dial 5 MOA up and squeeze!
Is that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been used like that though it has been
proven in this forum that's not the most accurate way to use it. The 437 would be the horizontal distance and you're suppose to use your drop charts for what ever load you're using to get the MOA correction that you need for that horizontal distance. Again at times the info would be off enough to mis your target.
There are other methods to calculate for the right correction but too long to calculate. I just use Exbal, imput the vertical angle either in the form or 0.77 or 40° and I will always get the right correction.

I use my compass held on its side to get my angle. Then with that I use a conversion chart to get my actual range to determine my dial up. I'm actually headed out this week to do some angle shooting with some guys and will report on any other methods they use.

Man, didn't think about that!
Gotta go see if my compass will do declination.
That just might be what i was looking for.
Thanks!!!

Well we did the angle shooting. None of us had any type of angle indicator mounted to our rifle/scope. All of us agreed that the compass was the quickest and easiest way to find your angle. I would think that an angle indicator mounted directly to your scope/rifle would be even better.

There are three methods of utilizing the Angle Co-Sine Indicator and one is more accurate the other.

1) The most accurate method is to input the co-sine number or angle into your ballistic software; i.e. Night force Ballistic Targeting software ($70.00).

2) Method two is called the Improved Rifleman Method. This is where you multiply the co-sine number to your hold as depicted on your data card. (600 yards = a hold of 11.25 moa.) (.7 X 11.25moa = 7.87 moa).

3) Method three is called the rifleman Method. This is where you multiply the co-sine number to your distance to target. (.7 X 600 yards. = 420 yards).

The reason that the ballistic targeting software is the most accurate method is because the software takes into account the fact that the bullet is still traveling the full distance to target, with a similar time of flight. Those factors commingled with the bullets own unique deceleration curve can be up to 8 moa more accurate than the rifleman method when shooting on steep inclines and out at further distances.

A 600 yards shot on a 45 degree angle up at a big horn would be 7 moa, not 11.25. (According to Night Force's Ballistic targeting Software). This difference if uncorrected would equal a high poi of 26.6".

Latest Precision Shooting magazine is here showing David Tubb's latest development: his reticle that does everyting but pull the trigger; in a top quality tube. IMHO it is too buisy but that was my first opinion of the Horus that I have now standardized upon- that is with the 4000, pda and spare batteries. Overbore

Well, my compass won't work as an inclinometer.

W,
After the above discussion, I went to your site and got the skinny. Now just gotta buy an ACI!
Time to butter up the Wife s'more!

IChaseCoues,
I just ordered mine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's coming!!!

There are a many PDA's that work with today's ballistic targeting software. However, even though Pro Kit is a bit pricey, (Scopes, binoculars, Rifles & Pocket PC's), there is a Tremendous difference between the performance of "Pro Grade" and "average off the shelf" kit. For instance, with the Trimble Pocket PC's, they deliver 15 hours of continuous room-temperature operation with default settings. Check out the following link...

Trimble Pocket PC's!

W, my frind, that really had me spining. I'd take a while to
get that kind of mony saved up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah it is pricey, but believe me, they are worth their weight in Gold. The Israeli's also manufacture the coolest keyboard for them. The keyboard is approximately 1"x1"x3.5", and it projects a red laser keyboard onto any flat surface! It is really cool.
The batteries in these Pocket PC's will burn for 15 hours, and the user can also utilize a battery pack boot module with AA batteries if they want to. If you are a Guide, and you are up to date on this type of equipment, it is a must have item. Absolutely a must have item. At airports, Hotels, or other places that provide 802.11 wireless service, the user can utilize the Internet, and also send and receive email; not to mention everything else it does. Check out the specs
TDS RECON SECIFICATIONS

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.