Anemometer (wind velocity guage)

duovid

Hi all,

What do you recommend for measuring wind velocity whilst you are hunting? In particular, how do you measure wind changes between the muzzle and the animal when it is 500 yards away and may be in the bottom of a river bed and you are pearched up high on a cliff top? There are nearly always significant changes between the river bed and the top of a mountain range. Obviously met balloons are out! So what other fancy gizmo's are out there so as not to destroy the accuracy of that fancy rifle?

Interested in your thoughts!

Regards,

Duovid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I may not be the smartest beet on the truck but here's what I do.

I've found that gizmos work real well in certain areas such as the shooting range, over flat or rolling terrain etc (high desert sage brush). Hovever, when shooting across canyons and river bottoms or from bottoms to tops that the gizmos are usually good for where you are physically located.

I sneek out in the summer time, when no animals are there to disturb, and practice on rocks. It serves me very well when the season comes and the game show up, if they do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The experience also helps in similar areas that are new to me. The gizmo always helps as a reference point. Then any experince in reading the wind at the other end or in between is helpful.

I agree... there's no substitute for field practice. Some of us are more blessed than others in our opportunites to shoot in terain that replicates our hunting situations. I try to go "shoot rocks" every month... it keeps me sharp and I just love the bullet impact on rocks "THHHWACK". There's rarely any doubt on a clean hit, there's almost no way to guess their size, and they're almost never at an even distance. Learning to shoot in the wind by feel has proven to be much more accurate than when I rely on devices to give me a wind speed. Like you said, the reading only applies to where you're sitting... not across the canyon where the target is (or anything between). ~JT

I agree also. My first experience with wind change was my daughters first elk. At the time I was inexperienced (I probably still am) at reading wind all the way to the target. We made a great sneak on a herd of elk, a cow was at about 150 yards and my daughter was shooting a 308. Where we were the wind was left to right about 35mph. I told her aim at the liver/back of lungs to let the wind push the bullet home. First shot the elk was hit hard; second shot finished it. We stood up and took about 10 steps and the wind just died. For some reason where she shot from the wind was howling but not between us and the animals. On the second shot my daughter forgot to aim into the wind (good thing) and put the bullet right through the heart.

Sorry for taking over the thread; I guess what I am saying is there is no gizmo that replaces experience...but I still own lotsof them and I love every one!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.