Android Shooting Software

Shooter is the one with the Litz BCs on the android market. Not sure about using it on the Kindle though. Let me know if it works.

I downloaded an app called strelock bc on my droid phone and have had good success with it. It has been accurate with my 308, 22-250 and 7 stw out to 600. Havent had a chance to test it past that yet. It saves your rifle inputs too so its quich for feild work Have

Shooter for the droid is a pretty complete program for the price. I have most of my stuff programed in there just because I always have my phone with me. I am making the switch to Field firing solutions for windows mobile right now. Other than shooter it is one of the few programs that will automatically update info from a BT kestral. I have used shooter to shoot out to 1400 with several rifles, works about as well as anything out there IMO.
I do not know if the app will run on anything else, but I think you would lose some functions not running it on a phone with GPS and a data connection. It will auto propagate some environmental conditions with those functions.

Let us know if it works. A kindle would make a great shooting computer, especially if there was an otter box available for it. That way you could read while waiting for a shot.

Here's what I found....... so far. A hack/jail break may come along, though.

2. Amazon's App Store Is The Only App Store

We're sure you've heard all about how Android is supposed to be an open-source platform and how it's led to all this crazy fragmentation by different companies skinning and modifying it, but Amazon's sort of closing it off. You see, the Kindle Fire is powered by Android, but it doesn't look like it. That's because Amazon heavily modified Android 2.3.5 to look different. Gone are all the miniature app icons and in its place are carousels that sit on a bookshelf. One shelf for e-books, apps, movies, music, etc.
The issue? Although the Kindle Fire is powered by Android, it doesn't have access to the Android Market. The only way to get content is through Amazon's walled garden of services. Only apps that go through the Amazon Android App Store will work. It's possible that somebody will come along and crack it open like the Nook Color was and open access to the Market, but officially running the thousands of Android apps already on the market is a no-go for now, unless something changes.
That said, our own Kevin Hall, who has a Droid Charge in his pocket, praises the Amazon application store as one of the best places to get apps besides at the Market. Amazon offers a free paid app daily, and already has a pretty robust lineup.

Is this the "shooter" you are using? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DPR2JU/?tag=lrhmag19-20 by seankndy If so, it's in the Amazon Apps store and should work on the Fire.

Oh, I learned from the hunt w/BB that there is no reading time. It's glass, glass, glass, and then glass some more. That BB is the only fella that can squat and glass for long periods of time and stand straight up with no aches/pain/stretches. What's with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seankndy is the guy and that is the program. There is a long thread on it and its progression since inception where he tailored that software to user desires. It is well worth the money. I suspect that the kindle may have blue tooth communications, if it does pair it with a kestral 4500 BT and it should be great. I really like having environmental inputs to automatically update.

I downloaded an app called strelock bc on my droid phone and have had good success with it. It has been accurate with my 308, 22-250 and 7 stw out to 600. Havent had a chance to test it past that yet. It saves your rifle inputs too so its quich for feild work Have
I also use Strelock and with my limited experience, I like it so far.

Since shooter is available on the Amazon App Store you should have no problems with it working on the Kindle Fire.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DPR2JU/?tag=lrhmag19-20

However the Kindle Fire doesn't have bluetooth so you couldn't connect it to a Kestrel BT model. It also doesn't have a GPS chip in in so you couldn't use it for any navigation stuff. Also somewhat limited on space.

I am planning on using my Acer Iconia A500 for Shooter and GPS stuff on trips, a bit heavier and bigger but is has GPS and bluetooth in it, and about the same battery life. You can even get USGS maps as PDFs and keep them on any of these tablets too. Might save on some space. As long as you are conservative with the battery and remember to turn the wireless off when you are not using it it should be pretty good.

I know there have been a lot of solar chargers making their way on to the market lately as well. I am definitely going to look for one for my tablet. I know there is a lot that could go wrong with electronics but I love mine and they are what I do so I am going to see what I can do with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.