And then there was 1.........

25 Otter

Rifle that is. Lets say a fella wanted to build his ultimate one and only rifle. What would you build? It has to be capable of taking eastern Whitetails,western Mulies,Elk and Black Bear. Not too heavy,or too light. Wildcats are definately welcome. I have at my disposal both Remington and Winchester actions to build from. Standard and magnum. Blued or stainless. It will wear quality glass. So,lets have it boys. One and only one. Do it all no holds barred rifle.

Remington action, or clone (Tooley Orion). SS #4 (Lilja) barrel, fluted. HS Precision Detachable Magazine, Jewell trigger. McMillan Sporter stock, pillar and glass bedded. 300 Win Mag. Ziess 6.5 x 20 x 50 Mildot. Bearable recoil. No brake needed. Right around 9lbs. scoped. Done deal. Sounds like what I just had built.

S&B Scope 5-25x56 Police Marksman II LP w/P4 Reticule, McMillian A5 or any A5 Stock with adjust ability, Hart, Lilja, or Brux barrel @28", 338 Norma Magnum or 300 Lapua Magnum, Surgeon or Lawton action, Surgeon bottom metal w/ DBM, and a Harris Bi-pod. Nightforce rings, and either the muscle break, or Kirby's pain killer. That would be my dream rig.

Tank

Last edited:
Hey bb204,got any pics? You can never see too many pics of sweet rifles :cool:.

liltank, gotta say that would be a smokin' rig. If I'm going to have top end glass,I'm going to have to use a donor action that I already have. I may be selling 3 other rifles to fund this project.

I do like a brake,but think I will forgo it on a hunting rig. I've shot 2 benches down from some "Big Rigs",and had them move my rifle in the front rest! 30/378 wildcats mostly. They are a wonderful way of taming a real kicker. Paper and steel? Absolutely! I'd rather not on my game getter though.

Go with the Rem action timed and trued, in a 300WM or WSM or better yet, a 7SAUM with a 1:8 twist, Badger Ordnance bottom metal. 6.5x284 or a 6.5-06 would be nice too. I'll throw 280 or 280AI in the mix. 270 WSM ranks right up there too. Using the old reliable 338WM with some high quality 225's would definitely do the job as well. Keep everything else I suggested and throw a Night Force 5.5-22x50, Sightron SIII 8-32x50, Viper PST 6-24x50, Leupy MKIV 6.5x20x44 will do the job.
Tank

Last edited:
One great gun, I kinda prefer the "and then there was 1 more...":D

I'm a huge WSM fan, get a reamer set up for Norma brass and high BC bullets. I prefer Savage but for what your working with the Rem trued with a Jewell trigger would be my choice. I like a DBM set up for hunting, not for capacity but just for ease of loading and unloading with gloves on. Brux barrel, lightest contour that they can flute. A fine Joel Russo stock in a hunting style with a vertical grip. Scope base and rings just what ever works I'm not to particular. An all around rifle screams for a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 with velocity ballistic reticule, zero stop and high speed turret if possible. I'm thinking it would make a very versatile rig, you could hike it, timber hunt it, LR hunt it. I want to build something like this in a 338-300WSM but elk are the primary target. 270 WSM set up right is also awesome!

Custom or remmy all trued up for an action. 24"-26" #4ish barrel in any of the custom sort, I think I would go Brux but it dont really matter. chambered in .338 Norma with a thread on brake and cap. some sort of manners carbon stock, fully adjustable. Seekins DBM. Night force uni-mount with a 3.5-15 NXS NPR-2 Reticule with zero stops and the high speed turret. Harris S-series with a pod-lock.

Man I wish I was in your shoes.

I've killed antelope, mulies and elk in MT with the 300WM. It's plenty. I'm a little ****ed off though, the wife and cousins plain 270Wins make bigger holes!

I think there's something to the 270 cal rounds, when a 110gr 6.8SPC is perfect for mulies. The wife's .270 WIN 130gr load has a 6" exit on a whitetail. Versus a quarter sized exit with 180 SPBT Horn. out of the 300 win.

Then again DRT is DRT.

For at least 3 decades the 270 Win was my go to rifle. Deadly on anything from chucks to moose. Though it never shot an elk.:rolleyes:

However, I have changed my ways since learning that big bores don't hurtcha.:)

The goto rifle for all of the same stuff that I used the 270 Win for is now an 338 RUM. It's nothing fancier that an untrued Rem 700 left hand sporter with a Holland QD brake and the tupperware stock that shoots lights out accurate. Its rigged single shot so I have no magazine, feeding or overall length problems. She weighs a bit less than 10# w/a 4.5-14 older Weaver Tactical scope.

The only down side is the 1/8" turret clicks. But we shoot well enough together to see one click difference at all distances out to 1200, so far. :)>)

I wouldn't recommend removing the brake for field shooting. No way! Ouch! Even with the Limbsaver recoil pad. Plus from a good prone position shots @ all distances are spotted by the shooter. Which is a super big PLUS!

I've gone round and round with this trying to get what I felt was the best all around hunting rifle. For me, weight makes a difference. I like to walk long days and still enjoy a lot of spot and stalk hunting at great distances. I also enjoy long range shooting and hunting so wanted to cover that as well. I wanted some weight to the gun, but not burdened with something that was too heavy to comfortably carry all day for multiple days in a row.

OK, what I ended up with was a trued Remington action, a 25" Broughton 5C, 4.1 contour barrel with an 11 twist in 300 WM. Holland lug, Talley ring/bases, Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 BC, McMillan Edge stock, also has a brake but hardly ever use it, preferring the threaded cap instead. I shoot the 180 AB at 3050 fps and it is manageable recoil and lights out accurate. The gun alone without the scope weights just under 7 lbs.

I used this exclusively on my trip to Montana this year and after several days of hunting, fired two shots to take a great bull and buck. It was a great hunt and I owe much of the success to a fine rifle.

She sounds like a real sweetheart :cool:. Wouldn't happen to have a snapshot of it would you?

This may take awhile. I was on the phone with a local smithy last evening. He was telling me about some of the really good shooting they have been doing with the 6.5 caliber. Various chamberings ,mostly wildcats. I have to admit to not being a big 6.5 fan, but I'm starting to feel left out. The internet is just buzzing with all these long range enthusiasts just plain tearing it up with the 6.5. So,I've added one to the list of potential chamberings.

6.5/284
270 Weatherby
280 AI
7 STW
30/06
338/375 Ruger
338 Norma

For now that is.........

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.