And another thing.......

yooperchuck

I just purchased some IMR4895 powder from wideners. I studied surplus powders for a long time before taking a chance on purchasing some. People on this forum and the archives convinced me to take the step to purchase some surplus powder for my .308 Sooooooooo it got here. I loaded up some ammo. Started at 2.90...2.85...2.80...2.75...2.70 for OAL on the loads. The 2.80 group was so small at 100 yards i could cover the hole with a fifty cent piece. Am I dating myself or what here? The 2.75 was really tight with the exception of one flyer. Midway has a sale of sorts on chronys. So I purchased the beta master with printer. It should be here soon. I used 43.5 grains of the IMR 4895. Now with the chrony coming I will load 43.o...43.3...43.6...43.9...44.2...and maybe go a little higher depending on the chrony readings and how the casing look as far as stress. Im told if ya have to use a hammer to lift the bolt to get the fired casing out to back off on the powder. Im so happy I listened to you guys. I have a friend who "only buys the best" and scoffed at me when I bought the powder. After I get the different powder increments finalized after the chrony gets here I will see if I can get him to the range and let him see how this powder performs. Thanks again guys for giving me the nudge that allowed me to purchase milsurp powder.

What makes IMR 4895 "milsurp powder"? The military has used many powders over the years and some (if not most) have eventually become regular commercial products available to sportsmen. I always thought milsurp powder was age old military powder that can be bought in large kegs at a discount price. Sounds to me like you purchased a new can of moden powder, no different than IMR 4895 or any of the others.

Am I missing something? Just curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I bought the powder from wideners for $79 for 8#. I was under the impression this was milsurp powder. I am wrong? At any rate Im happy with the results to this point. I sent for a chrony beta master with printer on thursday. I will be able to see what velocity I am shooting at so when I get down to the nit grit and start shooting at 500 yds this summer I will have a consistant load to work with.

Hi OCW green. I have definitely been to your site and am working on what you propose. I probably went about the procedure bassackwards but til i get the chrony I will accept what is going on with my shooting. I use winchester brass. Winchester primers...just the large rifle variety. I am shooting 155 nosler match bullets as well as the nosler 168's. Again, I have been to your site and am taking to heart what you are saying.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.