An PM to John Burns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexkeyser, Mar 6, 2008.

1. alexkeyser

alexkeyser Well-Known Member

I sent this pm to John Burns in response to a previous thread on this site. I thought it wouldn't be a bad Idea to share it with the rest of you. I think it would be foolish to turn away such a knowledgeable person such as John Burns, with such a rough welcome back. Cut the man some slack guys. He may be one of the largest proponents of our sport as far as generating new interest. I think the following pm explains my position. I hope no one takes offense to me posting this.

John,
    hope you get this. I was inspired by all of your videos as they are what got me started in long range shooting a few years ago. I attribute many of my long range kills to the knowledge I took from your videos. I wish people would be more courteous with their opinions. I do not think it is fair for people to rip apart every detail of your video. I am also not against people speaking their minds. Weather or not any of the things that have been discussed are true or false, I do not care. I don't think it takes away from the video at all. People are imperfect, including the ones who so deeply criticize you. Don't listen to it! I for one do not use all the methods you use. I for one, do things slightly different. What I do different does not matter. I do what works for me. I have had the privilege of taking some fine game out to 912 yards. I was able to do so because of you and also because of others on this site(kirby and shawn included). I currently am having Kirby build me a rifle. I hold him in the highest regards as a person and a rifle builder. I have spoken with him a great deal in the last few years. He has always answered my e-mails as well as everyone else on the site. I know he and shawn may have come off as a little harsh to you, but I know for a fact that Kirby meant well (I really cannot speak for shawn as I have not spoken to him directly, but he seems to be a great guy). Hopefully you can work things out with them and the three of you can share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of us on this site. I also look forward to shawn's new video. I will purchase it as soon as it is available.

P.S. Maybe you can help Shawn out with a few criticism's of your own;). Just remember that you guys are all on the same side. thanks, AL

2. Levi

Levi Well-Known Member

VERY WELL SAID!
    I think that John is a great ambassador to our sport. His videos have really helped me to develope some of the skills that I was missing to become a better longrange hunter.

Levi

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I too PM'd John. I was brief.

He responded with "Thanks for the kind words."

I am the guy that started that thread and just had two questions none of which had anything to do with POI. Those two questions revealed my experience, or lack of, w/LRH.

4. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Way to go Roy , you started the fight now looked what happned:p

I guess I'll have to PM him myself cause nobody would ever amswere my freekin question about his rifle and my feeling are still hurt about that.

I always like to hear several differant sides to an oppinion or idea as I feel that several differant outlooks are always better than one (except the wifes)

I don't think that one differance of oppinion should "run anybody off" nor do I think that everytime sombody makes a post that the other fellas should jump in and bash it whcih I have seen happen alot but not here yet.

5. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

James, I think it is gunwerks.com

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I think I heard the cartridge is a 7 Dakota or maybe it's a Laz. I'm not familiar with either one.

7. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

I remember looking at the website and if I remember right it was a 7MM Rem Mag with Bergers. Pretty impressive stuff, the guns on their site look pretty nice too.

8. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

In talking with John in the past I believe he makes all his own rifles but I may be mistaken. Last I heard he used a 7mm STW with either Barnes or Berger bullets in the rifles in those videos. I may be wrong but I believe that was the case.

Kirby Allen(50)

9. liftman

liftman New Member

John Burns

Hello:

I just logged on for my first time, I have spoken to John Burns several times, however its been 4 years ago, the rifle he used was of course but
    by himself, it was a 7mmstw, at topped with a 4.5 x 14 x 50 Leupold,
    and Keyton Industries custom made the knobs per Johns request. If I
    remember correctly he was using 140 Sirricco's. I spoke to him a couple times, about building me a rifle, and he was so busy getting TBOTW started and on its feet, he did not have time. Comically the way I found
    him, was .. I had hunted in Wyoming, in 04 and took time to check my rifle, ironically I had set a the same bench that the shot most of the footage in Beyond Belief... after making a 707 yd shot on a good bull, and flying back to NC. I turned on the TV the next Sunday evening and fliped
    thru the channels, TBOTW was airing. ( First time I had ever watched it)
    Of course I was amazed when John started talking while setting beside
    the exact bench where I had traveled 1500 plus miles...

As Ironically the producer of TBOTW lives within 30 miles of me, here
    in NC.

later..

liftman

10. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

I too have also seen John's video's and was able to take several great tips from them that have helped me make some long range kills. At this time, I have not had the chance to really shot and animal further than 624 yards. I have shot steel to 1200, but know that shooting at a live animal in the wild can be completely different.

I think rifleman such as John and the others on this website bring a great deal of information to many of us that did not have the experience needed when we first started off in the sport. I for one like to examine each experienced longrange shooter and get what works best for me and use it to my advantage. It is just my humble opinion that I can just about learn something from every experienced shooter here. I me John at this years SCI and he is a great guy!

11. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

In one of his videos I watched several years ago, john used a 7mm WRP, he said it was a 7 STW with throating changes, a 4.5x14 loopy with a m1 elev. knob w/ custom BDC, and a custom reticle for windage hold off.
    RR