Amazed with the Gen 2 Bergers

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Broz, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I have been shooting this week mornings and evenings finalizing drops for my .338 LM with the Gen 2 Berger Hybrid 300's.

The accuracy of this bullet is amazing. Tonight I shot a group at 738 yards that went into 2".

the farthest group was at 1536 yards and was 7"

Every group I have shot this week has gone 1/2 moa or better except for one that went 3/4 moa. I truely called the shot that took it out as a bad trigger break.

This is not bragging so please do not take it that way. The rifle was on a bipod and solid on bags in the rear. So it was not the shooter so much as the equipment. I just wanted to share and encourage the .338 shooters to give these a test drive. They have made my rifle very consistant.

PS: Thanks Walt, Eric, Bryan and the people at Berger. What a fine product.

Jeff

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Kiwi Greg

Kiwi Greg Well-Known Member

Hi Jeff.
    That is very good news, waiting for them to get over to this side of the world...................still waiting :) may have found a quicker way :cool:

The biggest decision will be which of my 338 deserves them the most :D

3. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

Good to hear, I got a box of them in the mail last week. Alas, I don't think I will be running them, the bullet is so long, i'm having trouble getting them in my AI mags.... Mcrees Precision has a new mag out with a longer internal capacity... maybe i'll order one of those.

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

My mag box will load them fine but I single feed them all the time anyway. One in the tube and two beside me on the ground. Even while hunting I have found this plenty effective. Might be worth a try??

Jeff

5. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

Broz, Thats great news and also nice shooting. Thanks for the input.

6. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460 Well-Known Member

does berger have load date?

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Not sure, I am using H-1000 in my 338 LM. Start at 89 gr and work up for this caliber.

Jeff

8. RDM416

RDM416 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Broz. I just got 100 in a few days ago. I will give some a try out of my Khan later this week.

9. Outlaw6.0

I would have to modify my AI mags, they are square in the rear which acts as a bolt stop when you are empty. It's kinda nice to have a 5rnd mag :D I may try the XL Mags from Mcrees, what is your COAL?

10. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

3.860" Ogive is at 3.004"

I am not sure about the 5 round mag thing. I am building a rifle now (for a friend) with one. It is a seekins and plenty long, but heavy and I would never shoot five in a row anyway. I like my barrel more than that. Pretty sure I will be building single shots in the future. More and more I am a believer in the " slow hit is better than a fast miss" senario.
    Jeff

11. Outlaw6.0

Crap, the XL mags are like 3.770, I could probably make that work... either that or I'll just stick with ye ole SMK, my poor R7L-TMAG would sure look funny as a single shot....

Attached Files:

12. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I have seated some of these pretty deep, at least .060" deeper than I am now. Didn't seem to affect the accuracy much. At least not durring load work up to 500 yards. Might be worth a try.

Jeff

13. Outlaw6.0

I hear you there Broz, I've got'em, no sense in lettin them lay around collecting dust!! If I wouldn't have bought a $2100.00 leupy yesterday I would have an XL mag on the way already.

14. 300WSMMAD

300WSMMAD Well-Known Member

+1 Jeff, I cant figure out why Long range hunting rifles need mags myself, in a military application heeeell yes, but hunting no IMHO.
    All my longrangers are bulit on Barnard P's.

But if it smokes yeh tyres, get magazines.:D

Back on topic, got too many 300 SMKs to buy more, but I spose I could get a box and try em, then maybe sell the SMK's if theyre real good.