Am I the only one with this problem

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by IdahoJoe, Aug 31, 2013.

1. IdahoJoe

IdahoJoe Well-Known Member

Up until recently my hunting rifles have been ruger 77 mkIIs with the three position safety. I now have a cooper with the 2 position safety and the bolt opens on me while I am hunting. Any advise on this problem?

2. ShootnMathews

ShootnMathews Well-Known Member

never had that problem myself. None of my guns have a 3 poss safety. I just have developed a habbit of reaching back every so often and pushing it back down every once in a while. More often if I'm in rough terrain or brush. I also give a check as soon as I unshoulder it.

3. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

I don't know the Cooper action at all, so it might not work, but I've had Remingtons, and Mausers converted to 3 position safeties. Gentry might have something.

4. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Call Cooper Arms and see if you can get a 3 position safety. I have never heard of one.

5. HARPERC

What's the Cooper closest to? I never really looked at one.

6. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

They have a 3 lug bolt and Sako style extractor and seem to be most like Sako actions as far as I can tell. never looked under the hood of one.

7. HARPERC

Another smith, (Lapour) list three position safeties for the Sako Vixen. He states with the variations in Sako it's best to send it in. It depends on how big the problem is to the individual, it's fairly expensive, and my experience has been the fitting needs a better than average smith to install correctly.

8. IdahoJoe

IdahoJoe Well-Known Member

maybe I will give cooper a call and see what they suggest.

Thanks for the replies

9. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

10. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger Well-Known Member

That's why I like the 77 Mk ll. One of the reasons anyway. I've been using them since they came out. Well since 93 anyway. I can honestly say I have never had the safety come even part way off full safe or the bolt handle move during thousands of days of having one with me in the truck, ATV, boat, loader, slung, or in my hands.
    The Mark X action on my 9.3×64 with a 2 position safety is very different however. I have to check it often same with my Savage. I need to have a 3 position put on my 9.3 but it still won't be as good as the Ruger.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  11. Zep

Zep Well-Known Member

Call Cooper. I have never had this issue with my Cooper. The Cooper people are real easy to talk with. Please report back.

12. HARPERC

I've used, and been around Rugers, Pre-64 Model 70's, Gentry, and another after market from a long time ago I can't recall the name. All work very well properly installed. The only trouble I had was the older one binding until i got it to someone who understood they aren't drop in, and was competent to do the fitting.