am i being to picky

Discussion in '7mm STW' started by muliehunter, Jun 20, 2013.

1. muliehunter

muliehunter Well-Known Member

I have a lyman1200 powder measure and if im loading say 42.1 grains of powder and it scales at 42.0 or 42.2 I dump it back is that being to picky or is that part of why we reload

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Not IMO....I'm OCD and anal-retentive, so I load to the exact 1/10th of a grain.

So, take solice in the fact that you're not alone. :D

3. muliehunter

just have lots of guys say don't need that much care to go huning but I might shot 10 rounds a year hunting and 5000 or 6000 target shooting and I one hole or very small group and most of these guys also say I shoot to much I think that's about like owning to many guns cant happen

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I have a 1200 and it has loaded 1000's upon 1000's of rounds. I weigh to the 10th too. But if mine is not perfect to the 10th it goes over by .1 or .2. So I reach in with a thumb and finger and remove a pinch. Then drop it back a granual at a time to get it perfect. If there is any doubt lift off the pan and then set it back and it will re-weigh it.

If you are not using the plastic straw trick you should try it. Cut off about 1 1/4" of a drink straw like from McDonald's. Insert it in the charge tube and leave 1/4 to 3/8" sticking out. Then tear a tiny piece of masking tape to hold it there. This will improve the accuracy of the machine a great deal and eliminate most of the over trickling.

Jeff

5. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Broz....Your method is identical to mine.

I still need to try the straw trick for my Chargemaster 1500.

6. muliehunter

thanks I don't know a lot about all of this but what I do know I try to do right in fact I know less than I did 20 years ago

7. SnakeRiverEric

SnakeRiverEric Active Member

I do the same, to the 10th of a grain.

8. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

Broz, your method is dang near exactly what I do, but I just use the rcbs volume measure to start with, then trickle up with a pinch. The only powder this hasn't worked for me with is I 5010. The kernals are just too big for any real accuracy by volume. I use a lee dipper and scale and tap trickle (with a few grains in the dipper) to finish with that one.

9. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

My question is what do you use the ammo for? You killing gallon milk jugs? Or you trying to shoot a record (??) on the other size of a wide canyon?

Milk jug killers....shoot them. Record elk....re-do them.

10. muliehunter

both and all the above had a guy tell me that use to shoot compation that tight groups build confidence for hunting and I just think why spend a lot of money on a rifle that shoots real good why put half as ammo through It then I just have to do my part the worst of it is my boys shoot them better than I do

11. Fire306

Fire306 Well-Known Member

I load mine the same way you are talking about. 0.1 of a grain over, i dump a pinch out and re-trickle up to proper weight.
    Saying that, when loading for my STW, I don't worry about it nearly as much due to the size of the charge. (80+ grains of powder) A .1 variance here is minimal, but when reloading for my PPC for example, a .1 variance is a lot higher percentage when there is only 29 grains in the case.

Right or wrong, that's what I do.

12. muliehunter

the straw trick did the job loaded 300 rd and dumped 4 back that were .1 over and 1 that was .1 under it hasn't worked that good since the day I got it thanks a lot tomorrow ill load 7 stw and am going to try some at book oal up that works as good as this one did but I have faith you have been doing this a lot longer than I have and I appreciate the help and knowladge

13. desertbull

desertbull Well-Known Member

I set it to throw .2 under my desired load and then trickle up.

As far .1 grain making a difference, it kind of depends on the amount of powder in your load. If you are loading a big .330 and using 90+ grains of powder, .1 is not going to make a difference.

If you are loading a small caliber and only using 30-40 grains, then .1 is a larger percentage of the total.

14. muliehunter

today was loading 65.6 tomorrow I will be loading91.0 grains and 42.5 7stw and 243 today was 7remmag