aluminum rifle stock

Do the new mod 70's still have the recoil lug machined into the action, or are they built with a traditional recoil lug?

The solid machined in recoil lug is the "traditional " way. Most modern bolt actions are a modification of the original Mauser actions which had the solid lug .
So anything later like a Rem 700 barrel tenon lug is a newer idea .
Both have their advantages and disadvantages .
The Mod 70 Winchester is slightly different to a Mauser 98 because the front action screw goes into the base of the action well behind the lug. The Mauser front screw goes into the base of the lug .
The Mod 70 has a good large bedding surface area that can support a heavy barrel in the vertical down direction and plenty of room to fit a large diameter bedding pillar if required . Obviously not required on a solid alloy stock but skim bedding may be.

The solid machined in recoil lug is the "traditional " way. Most modern bolt actions are a modification of the original Mauser actions which had the solid lug .
So anything later like a Rem 700 barrel tenon lug is a newer idea .
Both have their advantages and disadvantages .
The Mod 70 Winchester is slightly different to a Mauser 98 because the front action screw goes into the base of the action well behind the lug. The Mauser front screw goes into the base of the lug .
The Mod 70 has a good large bedding surface area that can support a heavy barrel in the vertical down direction and plenty of room to fit a large diameter bedding pillar if required . Obviously not required on a solid alloy stock but skim bedding may be.

Got it, thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Essentially cutting threading on the tube forearm then would act almost as additional support for a heavy long barrel without adding the barrel block... within reason.... theoretically.

Got it, thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Essentially cutting threading on the tube forearm then would act almost as additional support for a heavy long barrel without adding the barrel block... within reason.... theoretically.

The tube acting as a barrel nut is an interesting idea.
You are quite correct in identifying that area as a potential weak link.
Some alloy chassis systems that I have seen are a bit flimsy at this point due to joints and need to reduce weight . Getting the balance right between weight and rigidity is very difficult and in the end weight wins out and rigidity must suffer if we want to carry the gun without a fork lift .
The only issue I see is that a tube will be a fairly large diameter and that would make it unlikely to be supported by a fore stock anyway as it would make the depth profile very deep and to make solid unjointed stock with the tube sitting on top you would need to start with a huge billet of Al to get the depth to step down from the action and under the tube .
However if a deep magazine well is used as in a Military type weapon then that would need an extra deep billet for the action chassis section so it could be extended under the tube if you wanted .
This is why many have joints or nothing under the forend tube . The bi-pod sits right under the tube . The action and mag support chassis usually starts behind or not far from the end of the tube or the action itself is rigid enough to just hang a magazine well bracket and pistol grip off it's base and extend that to support the butt.
Something similar to a Remington MSR I would think kind of illustrates . However I am not sure if the Rem MSR locks the barrel with the tube as I have never seen one pulled apart. I think they have a quick change system .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts