• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Aluminum 1.24" jaws to fit Brownells barrel vise:

Buck Fever

Brownells sells their two piece aluminum jaws for $30 plus shipping.

That was too expensive for me so I bought a foot of aluminum tube ($25 shipped) from Online Metals:

8797910466590.jpg
(stock image from online metals, not my tube)

I cut off a 3" section, slit it down one side, used a file to clean up the cuts a bit and then used it in a friend's vise to install a new 1.240" shank barrel. My slit is not perfectly straight and it's not too pretty but that doesn't matter to me.

It worked fine and did not slip or mark my barrel. I used a rear entry type receiver wrench, an 18" breaker bar and torqued it good. With the length of the breaker and the force I used, it was somewhere between 100-200 ft-lbs, limited by not wanting to twist the receiver wrench too much. Fine for me, your takeaway should be that the jaws held fine.

So I have 9" of tube left over. That's enough to make 3 more vise jaws.

If this is something you need, I will sell one set for $15 plus shipping.

My material cost is about $6.50 for 3", I'm using a good Starret bimetal hacksaw blade and a few good files.

I'm a lot less efficient than a metal shop with a nice bandsaw, it takes about 10 minutes of labor to make a jaw, then there is the time at the post office. Basically I would do better at a minimum wage job.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

I am not offering any warranty, it should fit 1.250" barrel profiles, the slit is wide enough to clamp down on a 1.240" barrel. I am selling it as a 1.240" vise jaw so if you are using it on anything else, that's on you. If you have a 1.200" barrel shank, I think that is almost certainly too small for a 1.25" jaw.

1.240" is about the biggest barrel shank used on Remington 700 footprint actions. It is a good fit for 1 3/4" tube with 1/4" wall. I don't think there are other easy to make vise jaws like these because 1 3/4" tube is an oddball size, you might be able to find 3/8" wall to make a 1" jaw but that's probably not a useful size. Anything else would need to be bored on a lathe and probably using solid bar stock instead of heavy wall tube.

I don't do PayPal or other online payments. Send cash if you need it fast, a check if you aren't in a hurry.

Send me a PM for my lead time and payment info.

Last edited:

Recent Posts