Alternative for 300 win to Retumbo

The Hodgdon website lists 66.8gr as MAX with a Nosler E-tip. The IMR site lists 68.1 as MAX with the same bullet.

You should not use speer bullet data to make loads for nosler bullets.

Your loads are pretty warm.

After looking through my book, I found the following.

Nosler #6, page 403. IMR 4350 max 70.0 3130fps, 24" barrel. I'm shooting a barrel 2" longer with 1 grain more powder. I think my chronograph is probably pretty on. And yes it's a little warm. I was wrong, I thought I was below the max and I'm not.

Lefty, Speer #14 list 72grns Imr4350 and 71grns H4350 under a 180 in 300wm, but I have yet to see charges even higher than that hit 3240 in 24-26" barrels. 7828 will do it with ease in a 28" pipe.
barnes, hogdgon, and nosler(the bullet in question) are lower. The only manuals I have that show hotter(and then only by a grain) are using a standard primer to light the fire.

What is quickload?
a ballistics program some here use... given enough info it can predict yield pressures, charge weights, etc.. I don't use it but I HAVE used strain guages. They'll open your eyes a bit. My last 7stw was wearing a guage for a while and 75 Kpsi loads would eject just fine and didn't bind. I never pushed the rifle to the point where I got hard extraction while I had the guage on it, but I did switch from 7828 to rl25 as I was getting the same accuracy and velocity at ~10Kpsi less pressure(58Kpsi vs. 68-70Kpsi). I won't beat up my rifles for 50-100 fps; I'll get a bigger gun.

a ballistics program some here use... given enough info it can predict yield pressures, charge weights, etc.. I don't use it but I HAVE used strain guages. They'll open your eyes a bit. My last 7stw was wearing a guage for a while and 75 Kpsi loads would eject just fine and didn't bind. I never pushed the rifle to the point where I got hard extraction while I had the guage on it, but I did switch from 7828 to rl25 as I was getting the same accuracy and velocity at ~10Kpsi less pressure(58Kpsi vs. 68-70Kpsi). I won't beat up my rifles for 50-100 fps; I'll get a bigger gun.

Thanks for the info. At the pressure my gun is shooting at it ejects and functions normally. I wasnt trying for the velocity I got, I was loading for accuracy and it just happened to be the most accurate round. Then I chronographed it and was surprised.

Thanks for the info. At the pressure my gun is shooting at it ejects and functions normally. I wasnt trying for the velocity I got, I was loading for accuracy and it just happened to be the most accurate round. Then I chronographed it and was surprised.
Not trying to be a party pooper man, just saying you are likely a bit warm. I'd rather see everyone running safe stuff out there. I'd back off to 3150 fps(whatever that lands for charge) and work your seating depth a bit to re-tune. Another way to look at your load is the number of firings you get before your brass goes. Your primer pockets should be good more than three firings with safe loads.

I just finished working up a great load with re25 & 185g. Berger's hunting vld. Shot a 3 shot at 200yards that was just under an inch wide. And all level. proChrono says 2943,2943,2949 with es 6 and sd of 3. These reloader powders have been great in my gun.26" tube
Re25-77.5g
Cci#250
.090" jump
Win brass

For whoever posted this, FYI the Speer 180 btsp is a lot closer in design (length of bearing surface, boattail length, jacket thickness, etc...) to the 180 Nosler BT than the E-tip, the E-tip is basically a barnes tipped triple shock without pressure rings with a .060" jump the E-tip has about twice the initial start press of a ballist tip, don't believe me, get someone to quickload that. I have interchanged data from the Speer manual before with Nosler bullets with no issues, when they publish these books, they know you may not be using the exact bullet listed but it gives you A PLACE TO START.

Not trying to be a party pooper man, just saying you are likely a bit warm. I'd rather see everyone running safe stuff out there. I'd back off to 3150 fps(whatever that lands for charge) and work your seating depth a bit to re-tune. Another way to look at your load is the number of firings you get before your brass goes. Your primer pockets should be good more than three firings with safe loads.

I know they are a bit warm. I dont think one grain will be enough in extra pressure to make a difference. This gun is a hunter. I shot 5 rounds out of it last year. My brass lasts atleast 4 reloads before i anneal them and even if they didnt, oh well. With the amount of shooting I do with this gun it will last a really long time.

I just might load some shells for my gun at 70 to see what the velocity changes to. I know the group went from 1.25ish to 3/4 with the extra powder so I like the accuracy I'm getting.

I have bullet pushed out as far as I can and I'm still a ways from the lands. That's the.bad thing about the Browning's, the magazine box limits how far out you can seat the bullet.

Marble, what is your OAL if you don't mind me asking?

I dont know off the top of my head. My calipers are with my reloading bench so I will head over there today or tomorrow and measure.

I have 3 A bolts. 7mm rem mag, 300wm and 7-08 AI. Generally when I am developing a load I will seat them out as far as the magazine allows and then check to see how they fit in the chamber. If I recall correctly, I'm about .0020 of the lands. I have never had a reload for the guns where I couldn't seat the bullet to the end of the magazine.

I'll head over to the shop hopefully today and get back to you.

OAL is 3.368/7. I measured a few and they were within a hundredth of each other. I also run them through a hornady concentricity tool.

So I just loaded 8 rounds with RL-22 2 each 73-75.5 at 1 gr each to 75 and then 75.5 end. They are all .009 off the LANs. Pill is Berger 185 with 215 primers.
Not sure when I can shoot them but I at least have them loaded now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.