Almost too embarrassed to ask!!

Ramses II

I just ordered a Frankford Arsenal Tumbler. Forgot to order media /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and the local gunshop only has walnut media.

Is it ok to use walnut as opposed to corn cob media in a standard tumbler?

If so, are there any advantages of one over the other?

An Embarrassed Ramses II

Yea it's fine to use the walnut media. They differ by way of
#1 They polish to a different finish.
#2 One works better on more heavily tarnished brass than the other ( not quite sure which one though never used the walnut)
#3 One costs more than the other.
#4 One gets stuck in the flash holes worse but again usure which one but 4ked horn said he used an extra fine ( I believe ) corn cob media and had no trouble with it sticking in the flash holes.
But yea you will be fine using walnut until you can get some corn cob if thats what you want or you may decide you like the walnut better. ( who knows ) Have fun polishing cases!

FWIW call around a bit to places that sell sandblasting type abrasives. In a decent size city you should be able to buy corncob in differing grit sizes in a 50 pound bag for 20 bucks or less. You can add polish if you want but lately I"ve just tumbled my stuff in straight cob and it works out fine. Unless you desire a high shine and again you can order polish and mix in as needed.

Works fine and doesnt' get much cheaper.

Jeff

The corn cob that I am using is great for not getting stuck in flash holes but I got it from Gonehuntingagain. It came with his vibratory cleaner when he bought it I believe. I will email him and ask him to respond to this question.

Email sent. Stand by.

The media that 4ked is referring to is the media that came with my Berry's Tumbler . The kit shows that it was a corn media - it was very fine, more so than the stuff I just bought to replace it. I would place its grain size to about 1/2 the size of what I have now. I do not know the mfg. of the stuff I have now as it comes in bulk from a small local shop.

I'm currently using walnut,for the same reason. It is a little harder on brass than corn cob, but alot of my brass was really tarnished and wouldn't come clean with the corn cob but did in the walnut. I have found that if you don't leave brass to long it may be better. I haven't had any problem with it getting stuck in the flash hole.

I got my last batch from Sinclair (the Corncob) This stuff is great. Very fine and does not get stuck in the flash hole. 1 case out of 50 I had it stuck in the hole. It's not treated which is fine with me. I used to use Lyman treated and it put a great shine on that brass but after what I have read about treated media and barrels...I'm not takin the chance.

The corncob does not get the brass as shiny and spiffy but it does clean well inside and out.

Hope this helps

Joe

Hey 7rum

Was reading "Handloading for Competition" and there was a few lines in there how the Rouge in treated media can cause issues in the barrel over time. I guess the roughe gets inside the case and stays there then when fired, residual "rouge" gets deposited in the barrels and acts as an abrasive over time. So, I'm not so sure how true this is but I have read it in several places (don't even remember) so I figured beter safe than sorry.

The book also mentions just because a case is pretty and shiny does not mean it's clean. Goes into detail how "wet cleaners" just suck etc etc etc.

After cleaning a batch with the plain corn cob, I noticed cases did not have that super shine on them..But felt?? very clean. He also mentions the rouge in treated media junking up dies etc. Kind of makes sense I guess.

It's kind of too bad too because I always had a woodie over very shiny cases. Must of been 10 years in the corps and this thing for shiny brass.

Joe

I think GG recently posted that he wipes his brass down w/ steel wool then throws them in the corncob over night. He handles them with latex gloves on so the oils from his fingers don't tarnish them as they sit on the shelf.

I must say his MOAG rounds were absolutely picture perfect.

Thanks lab! I don't use treated media I add a little polish that came with my setup from time to time but was thinking of buying some treated media because mine is getting dirty.

7rum

Can I ask what type of polish you use. I was thinking of trying sinclairs rooster bright. Not sure that would cause any harm

Joe

Lab I just saw your post. I use the frankford arsenal polish that came with my tumbler and media. It sells by itself also and is not suppose to harm cases. You add two tablespoons to each pound of untreated media ( I think ). It works good my cases come out bright and shiney and it has a citrus scent to it instead of a cleaner smell.

[ QUOTE ]
it has a citrus cent to it instead of a cleaner smell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which makes it especially tasty on chocolate cake frosting or ice cream.

Don't try this at home.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.