Almost Great Swift Fox Experience

sscoyote

Spotted one last Fri. whilst hunting coyotes curled up in his hole, and began a stalk. Thought to text my buddy and asked him if he wanted me to wait till he had off couple days later. Of course he says YES!!!!

Several days later we set up about 125 yds. away from the hole and I start squealing away on my high-pitch call, and nothing. Buddy's waiting on his AR for the fox to emerge from the hole for a head shot (80 ELD-M). So I decide to cut the range in half and try again. Nothing. Thought to go maybe 10yds. closer to the limit of my safety. I laid down and squealed loud again. Sure enough his head emerges from the hole, but my buddy couldn't get a shot off through a yucca plant. So laying there for maybe 5 minutes, watching the sucker just looking around when I slowly raised my call again and gave a slight squeal on it and he instantly jumped up exposing his body to my buddy and then the 80 impacted him through the lungs...but NOT A HEAD SHOT allowing the sucker to get back in his hole, and gone. Couldn't see him at all. Blood everywhere but no fur. Next time I hope he takes the head shot.

Next time, head shot for sure. I figured a body shot at that range would've been messy enough. Still going to get a 10'-12' length of barbed wire to carry in the pack for fishing fur out of fox holes. He looked like he might've had a gorgeous hide. the season isn't nearly over yet; we've still got time.

I have underestimated the will to live in all predators. I just spent hours upon hours looking for a bobcat. Not any more. From now on I will shoot for the head or neck. DRT or clean miss.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts